Caleffi Quicksetter Balancing Valve with Flow Meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cheaper alternative would be to use a manifold with flow meters and balancing valves built in, unless of course your trying to balance something other than your heat emitters or you just have one large loop.

Velvet, you may be over-engineering your system. I know this is so you can nix a coupe of circulators, but unless you have one really long and one really short loop these won't be necessary. Just install a gate valve in both of the loops to use for throttleing if need be.

TS

Velvet, you may be over-engineering your system. I know this is so you can nix a coupe of circulators, but unless you have one really long and one really short loop these won't be necessary. Just install a gate valve in both of the loops to use for throttleing if need be.

TS
I think so too. I'm actually using not nixing a couple of circulators. It just seems a shame that much seems to depend on gpm, but it can't be measured without spending money.

It just seems a shame that much seems to depend on gpm, but it can't be measured without spending money.
No, as you've been told a couple of times, for your baseboard loops not much depends on gpm. Too low of a gpm will result in the end of the loops being cooler than you might like, but if you're running a couple two three gpm you'll have plenty. What matters is temperature.

But if you really want to know what the gpm is or what it would be with various pumps, there is no need for expensive measuring devices. Just calculate the circuit resistances according to piping lengths and number of elbows and figure out what the gpm will be according to the pump curves of your candidate pumps. The Taco guide in the stickies will walk you through it step by step, which is a tried and true technique that has been successful in tens of millions of installations.

Or measure the pressure drops across your current 007 and derive the circuit flow resistances from those measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.