Call Me Crazy...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mealie38

Oct 2, 2014
Long Island,NY
Paid 415.00 for 1 ton of Blazers and 432.00 for 1 ton of Okanagan Doug Firs.Plan on burning oil and pellets this year.

sometimes it's nice to sit by a warm fire

Reactions: Mealie38
Wow virtually paid what I paid in Canada...I actually paid less on Okanagan Super Premiums

OK, I'll play - you are crazy :). Hey, if you can afford it, and that is what you want, then go for it.

Reactions: bags and Mealie38
It was expensive,could have got a lot of oil for that price.

Paid 415.00 for 1 ton of Blazers and 432.00 for 1 ton of Okanagan Doug Firs.Plan on burning oil and pellets this year.
Are those prices for a ton or a pallet? Spruce Pointes I just bought are 60 bags to a pallet. $420 for the pallet (plus taxes) Cdn.

Wow virtually paid what I paid in Canada...I actually paid less on Okanagan Super Premiums
How "Northern" are you? Can't seem to get the Okanagan's here:( Can't complain too bad as we had LaCretes last year and the Spruce Pointes this year...

I live up in Fort Frances 4 hours from Thunder Bay. Our local Canadian Tire had them. Just had to make 6 trips (don't live to far away) picking up 25 bags each time lol couldn't find a trailer but cheapest in town at 5.99 a bag

I live up in Fort Frances 4 hours from Thunder Bay. Our local Canadian Tire had them. Just had to make 6 trips (don't live to far away) picking up 25 bags each time lol couldn't find a trailer but cheapest in town at 5.99 a bag

Great price! Get what you can because their supply is very unreliable... trust me I know. Live northwest of you. You likely know my hubby...

Great price! Get what you can because their supply is very unreliable... trust me I know. Live northwest of you. You likely know my hubby...

I did grab 3 tons and North American Lumber was suppose to bring me 2 tons of Spruce Pointe but gave me Surefires instead...its gonna be my first season burning so not sure how much I will use around here

Are those prices for a ton or a pallet? Spruce Pointes I just bought are 60 bags to a pallet. $420 for the pallet (plus taxes) Cdn.

How "Northern" are you? Can't seem to get the Okanagan's here:( Can't complain too bad as we had LaCretes last year and the Spruce Pointes this year...

50 bags per pallet for me.

I did grab 3 tons and North American Lumber was suppose to bring me 2 tons of Spruce Pointe but gave me Surefires instead...its gonna be my first season burning so not sure how much I will use around here

Used North American again this year ... can't pre-season order from CT. Tompkin's in Emo also carries pellets but they usually carry Indecks and I heard rumour of $8/bag.!!!
Surefires are probably the better pellet to start with; keep the Okanagans for December. How big is the house and how well insulated? What kind of stove?

Emo wanted 8.50 a bag crazy... NAL was 7.00 a bag (free delivery) house is 2000 sqft ( very open concept) and have an Enviro M55 Insert heats up to 2500 from what the manual says. Have geo thermal to help out. house is pretty well insulated as newer build.

$8.50 is nuts!!! I do like to buy local but... Sounds like the Enviro should do the job. What is the orientation of the fireplace to the rest of the house? May find some of the farther reaches of the house will be cooler depending on the location and orientation of the insert and lay-out (one floor or bi-level; central stair). Radiant baseboards or F/A on the geothermal? Zone heating capable? Some folks will use F/A fan to circulate air for better distribution. You'll have to experiment to see what works for your house...

Yeah placed it at far end of house blowing into the main living areas (only 1 floor). only thing that may not be as warm is the laundry room and front porch which are beside where stove is. have fans in house to help circulate heat. Geo is radiant in floor.

I just cant wait to fire this guy up

have fans in house to help circulate heat
This may sound counter-intuitive but you may want to try using a floor fan to push the lower, cooler air towards the stove. It will help get a convection loop going in the house. Hope you installed an Outside Air Kit (OAK)...

Wow that is steep. I paid 299 per ton for blazers at prebuy and bought 3 ton. With a 57 flat delivery it came out to 318 per ton. I feel like I got a great deal, and I thought prices in Taxachusetts was outragous. The flip side is at least you will be very warm this year I hear blazer are great I actually never tried them but couldn't pass up that deal on a df pellet. Now prices in my area for blazer without delivery is between 329 and 359 depending on where you buy

This may sound counter-intuitive but you may want to try using a floor fan to push the lower, cooler air towards the stove. It will help get a convection loop going in the house. Hope you installed an Outside Air Kit (OAK)...

I am going with an OAK system as my unit has a separate air intake inlet. Just curious if I went with the Selkirk DT then would I not have to run that extra pipe?

Ok Crazy, hey if you can afford it and they are what you wanted it's your coin. Curious what oil is going for near you?

Consider his location...
Yes it seems high to most, but Long Island is a completely different animal..
But there are places throughout New England, that get close to, if not, $400 for DF's..
So it really isn't "insane"... (imo)

Dan

Consider his location...
Yes it seems high to most, but Long Island is a completely different animal..
But there are places throughout New England, that get close to, if not, $400 for DF's..
So it really isn't "insane"... (imo)

Dan

I didn't notice the Long Island locale, so that explains part of the price, but except for ambiance, I have to think that using oil, natural gas, or propane has to be less expensive than paying $400+ for a time of compressed sawdust.

Status
Not open for further replies.