Called oil dealer for delivery!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessoil

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 31, 2008
Western Maine
I asked what the price would have been had we done the budget program starting in May.
She told me $2.89/gal!!
Let's see: We will burn most of the 4 tons which cost $825.
In our case, we saw a drop in oil usage of 500 gal once we started burning pellets. 425gal vs 925gal
So $825 for pellets vs $1445 for 500 gal.
74F vs 68F

We will be getting 100 gal ($2.82/gal)which should top the tank off. (Hot water and small amount of heat for 2nd floor)
Thank you mister oil dealer for helping me see that we made the right choice going with pellets!!

lessoil said:
I asked what the price would have been had we done the budget program starting in May.
She told me $2.89/gal!!
Let's see: We will burn most of the 4 tons which cost $825.
In our case, we saw a drop in oil usage of 500 gal once we started burning pellets. 425gal vs 925gal
So $825 for pellets vs $1445 for 500 gal.
74F vs 68F

We will be getting 100 gal ($2.82/gal)which should top the tank off. (Hot water and small amount of heat for 2nd floor)
Thank you mister oil dealer for helping me see that we made the right choice going with pellets!!

I had mine topped off this past Saturday, it was $2.789 / gallon.

It crossed the break even point on fuel cost some time ago.

Hello

I also called the Oil Company and asked the price. She said the cash price was $2.85 per gallon!!!

I was using for the whole year 725 gallons 2 years ago and last year used only 425 gallons a savings of 300 gallons

$2.85 x 300 = $855

I bought 3 tons of pellets in the summer for $250 per ton

$250 x 3 = $750

$855 - $750 = $105

But now I have a heated playroom in the basement and the upstairs is 70 - 72 degrees vs 66 - 68 degrees during the daytime and 55 degrees in the living room and kitchen and bathroom at night!

Also for this season we got a new cold start oil boiler with an outdoor reset and a DHW heat Loop and Expansion Tank that should cut the 425 gallon usage in half or less!! We will see!

Also in the last 3 years removing the R7 insulation in the attic floor and installing R4 foil with R19 on top and crisscrossed with R30 saved 200 gallons because we originally consumed 925 gallons. Then the proper vents in the attic rafters with the R4 Foil stapled to them has eliminated the convection air flow from the soffit vents to the ridge vent in the attic that also draws heat out of the house!

As another stop gap measure I built a plywood door with a hinge to seal the gable vent preventing winter's cold bitter winds from futher drawing the heat out of the house!!

So far we did not get any real snow here but this house is the only house on the block that shows the tiny amount we got last night at noon time today! See pic below. No pellet stove heat is wasted warming the roof or outside! Stop Global Warming!

Attachments

• CoolRoofOnly12-15-2010sc.jpg
    CoolRoofOnly12-15-2010sc.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 409
Filled up in May, $2.39 a gallon, dealer called me.

i just bought 100 gallons of oil delivered on tuesday . 2.90 a gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.