Calling Big Moe Experts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rightnitro

Nov 24, 2018
Sourtheastern NH
I have a big moe stove, just have a couple questions. House was built in 75, has a 30' brick chimney. No cap. Few years ago chimney guy said everything looked good. Stove has an elbow coming out, 3' vertical, then 1' into the chimney. It's 6" pipe.

2 questions:

1) My father removed the damper on the vertical a few years back, he thinks we dont need it. I honestly dont know, but it seemed to be useful for keeping more heat in the stove. Anyways, when we open the door now, it smokes (not saying it's damper-related). It's very annoying. I don't remember this being an issue years ago. Would / could a damper help this issue?

2) In the big moe, right inside the stove at the top of the door, is an angle iron type thing on a rod, and you can rotate it up and down. Does anyone know what this does?

Thanks so much.

Take elbow off back of the stove and make sure soot / creosote havent blocked the flue pipe, also check the chimney for the same thing
A damper on a pre epa stove is def vital, like you said, it will slow down the flue gases and help keep the heat in the stove.

Reactions: Hoytman
pipe damper would only slow things down it can't speed it up. if you have a tall chimney and you have smoke coming back when the door is open you need to get a small mirror and look up the chimney to see if it has some blockage. if you have a 30 foot chimney it should be drafting hard with not smoke coming back

Reactions: Tar12
I run a big moe here in northern Vt. Works amazingly. I have a 30 foot brick chimney with about 7 feet of single wall metal 6 inch piping from stove to brick chimney in my basement. I run a damper about a foot to 18 inches from flue. I would not run this stove without a damper, thats not saying you or anyone cannot but i simply would not. You maintain better control of your fire with a damper and can tune your flow much better with damper and air inlets on mr. Moes door.Regarding your smoke falling out of stove sounds like the chimney needs a good cleaning. Is the top of your chimney above the highest peak on the house? As for the angle iron flapper, i believe it to be a smoke flapper door thingy moe bobber.The allnighters(aside from box moe maybe) are designed with a step up or two shelf top, the design makes for two different temperatures for cooking but also places the door lower then the flue so the gases and smoke rise up and out of your firebox naturally.The smoke flapper is designed to make the door opening seem to be another inch or two lower then it is already designed to be and the company probably thought that the flapper would make that natural flow even better. I find my smoke flapper didnt do much but make it harder for me to fill my firebox to its max on cold Vt nights, i have also pinched my fingers in it, yeah yeah....so i removed mine. This is my view on things and others may view this differently but i hope any info helps. My moe has been dormant for 2 days now, its 60 degrees today, now that i say that it makes me wonder, what was the outside temperature the day the smoke came out of your firebox door instead of heading up the chimney?Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Thanks a lot for the replies. Tried to take a picture up the chimney. But yes I'll give it a good cleaning.
Resized_20201218_163828_20201219_142001.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont, you really shouldnt be using it, That is chimney fire waiting to happen.

Eeek!

You may need chemical assistance with that shiny stuff.

creosote removing powder or a csl log. you can get both at most hardware stores. from the picture you put up you need to get drier wood or run the stove a little hotter or both.