New to All Nighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tradhomestead

Jan 6, 2024
Massachusetts
New to wood stoves. We have an All Nighter Little Moe in our livingroom.

A couple of questions-
1. Why does smoke puff from the door damper sometimes? How can we build fires to avoid this?
2. How often should we have to clean the T cap out? We’ve been burning daily for three months and we checked it today- it was filled with creosote but the rest of the flue looked sparking clean.
- last night we had a heart attack because the T was glowing red and our temperature gauge was maxed out. We now think we had a small fire inside the T area (which is why we cleaned it today)
3. Is thete anything to do (besides a blower) to make it more efficient? Maybe we are building the fires wrong and misusing the door damper, but we are blowing through wood. (Our space is 600 sqft)

What is your chimney set up? Sounds like you may be pulling to much draft. If so, a key damper about 18'' above the stove would fix your wood consumption. Pics of set up?

Thanks for your thoughts, here are photos.

1972A614-04A6-47FE-AE3C-635F48790C3A.jpeg 7167F219-6995-44A6-9814-D2E9AE0C7B93.png

How tall is your chimney?

Another possible issue would be your door gasket. If it is leaking air, you're giving the fire to much.
Also, your door air intake is adjustable. Spin it in for less air. I'm only noting your claim of new to stoves.

Reactions: Tradhomestead
The "puff from the door damper" is probably a backpuff. That can happen when you have a hot firebox and the flames die out for some reason.... air inlet closed down too much, something changes with your draft, wet wood choking the fire out with water vapor, etc. When the fire re-ignites you have a small explosion. If you search here for backpuff you should find lots of info.

Reactions: all night moe
A blower makes a big difference with an All Nighter... not so much with efficiency but with getting BTUs out of the stove immediately after lighting the fire.

A blower makes a big difference with an All Nighter... not so much with efficiency but with getting BTUs out of the stove immediately after lighting the fire.
I didn't notice any blower tubes on his Baby Moe.
My moe has those.....
The "puff from the door damper" is probably a backpuff. That can happen when you have a hot firebox and the flames die out for some reason.... air inlet closed down too much, something changes with your draft, wet wood choking the fire out with water vapor, etc. When the fire re-ignites you have a small explosion. If you search here for backpuff you should find lots of info.
Good call. I was thrown off when the OP said they are "blowing through wood'' and "the T was glowing red and our temperature guage was maxed out."

Perhaps MC of wood is high. Once MC is boiled off, the wood was overfired from door damper open to far?

I see blower outlets that are missing the louver caps. Mine never had louver caps. The easier of the two to see is behind the copper teapot.

And to the OP, if you are still reading this thread, make sure you have three screws attaching your cleanout cap. I don't see any screws in the picture you provided. Maybe you just took the pic while you were in the process of removal and that is why they are missing.

Screenshot_20240109_070002_Firefox.jpg Screenshot_20240109_070350_Firefox.jpg

I see blower outlets that are missing the louver caps. Mine never had louver caps. The easier of the two to see is behind the copper teapot.

And to the OP, if you are still reading this thread, make sure you have three screws attaching your cleanout cap. I don't see any screws in the picture you provided. Maybe you just took the pic while you were in the process of removal and that is why they are missing.

View attachment 322380 View attachment 322381
Yes, I see it now. Good eye.
Mine does have the louvers but, when I did use the blower I pulled them out.

Mine never had louver caps.
Which Moe did you have?

I had a Big Moe. Great stove, and I miss it sometimes.

Reactions: all night moe

View attachment 322380 View attachment 322381
Thank you- yes we were cleaning, but I will double check to make sure they got back before burning again