Camping and Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
So we went camping with the family this weekend and as usual I got elected to cook.....

Anyways we had a great time and I go to give my Weber a little bit of long overdue loving
icon_razz.gif
! The first night there I did T bone steaks, grilled asparagus, and baked potatoes. The second night was three racks of ribs, and the third night was spatchocked chickens, with a molasses bacon rub and baked beans that were cooked in the cast iron skillet with the maple bacon grease left over from that morning (holy cow that turned out good)! I did have pics of all three cooks but apparently memory cards don't hold up well after going through the washing machine in your shorts pocket
doh.gif
so all I have is the photo's from the final day.

Reactions: zap and GAMMA RAY
After the baked beans did you recreate the scene in Blazing Saddles? Awesome pics!

imagesCAFS8IKY.jpg

Reactions: certified106
how cute, you have the momma grill and the lil baby grill. Is this in Ohio that you went camping? I also went camping this weekend. Good times. NIce photos.

Wow - fantastic pics. Looks like good times.

Can't beat a Weber kettle grill. Highly predictable. Awesome looking chow.

Looks like a great place to camp and hike. That's a beautiful spot.

Hey, I'll be there in four more weeks.

Vittles look great. I get to cook like that when there is a group, but it will be just my wife and kids and dogs this time. They won't eat stuff like that, so I'd be cooking for myself. Well, the dogs would eat it.

I really like your camp chairs :)

Please adopt me.

Chicken recipe, please. I just had lunch and it made me hungry again. Great pix!!
Yes...cough up the chicken recipe cert....I mean, can you please share your chicken recipe pretty please?downloadfile-2.gif
Some people like to share their recipes..unlike one person here...not mentioning any names but his name rhymes with Ray...laughing.gif

Yes...cough up the chicken recipe cert....I mean, can you please share your chicken recipe pretty please?View attachment 67851
Some people like to share their recipes..unlike one person here...not mentioning any names but his name rhymes with Ray...View attachment 67852

Sorry I haven't been on for a day or two.
The chicken recipe was nothing special at all. I spatchcock the chicken and then stick a couple of pats of butter up underneath the skin. Then rub the chicken down with olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper and put on whatever rub your heart desires. I went with an off the shelf Mcormick Bacon Molasses rub and liberally applied it to both sides of the chicken. At that point I set the Webber up for an indirect cook and bring the grill temp up to 375-400. I then place the chicken on the grill grate with the thighs facing the charcoal on the other side of the fire grate. I cook the chicken that way until the thigh meat is just about to temp and then rotate the chicken so the breast faces the charcoal. Once the breast meat is up to temp I place the chicken directly over the coals and crisp the skin for a minute or two to give it a brown look and crispy texture. This whole process is pretty easy and once you do it you will be hooked!

Love camp cookin'. The food always tastes better in the mountains.
Here is one of my favorites. 6395430-lg-1.jpg

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.