Can’t get auger removed on St Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gabe05

Sep 24, 2019
Austin, MN
Hey guys I bought a used St Croix/Greenfield corn burner last weekend. The auger wouldn’t move for me so I read up some and tried to remove it. I took the four bolts off for the motor and it wouldn’t come out for anything.

Then I decided I’d take the motor off the auger to maybe get a pipe wrench in the auger. I took the set screw out of the motor and the damn shaft still won’t come out of the auger.

I’m frustrated and dealing with a wife who all of a sudden became a fireplace expert and telling me I wasted my money which as you know is super helpful... lol Any ideas would really be appreciated

Try not to damage shaft where auger motor plugs in. The top auger bushing area is galled and holding it in place. Try to lightly pry from inside hopper on the auger while someone else try's to turn it back and forth from the shaft end via something inserted inside set screw hole. A little patience will get it out. You may have to file a bit near set screw hole if you marred metal. Use Emery cloth to clean up top of auger shaft when out, clean up, then oil shaft and place back in stive a few times to get oil back on bushing. This usually works for 5 years of use. Or replace bushing if severely damaged. Good luck.

Reactions: Gabe05
Try not to damage shaft where auger motor plugs in. The top auger bushing area is galled and holding it in place. Try to lightly pry from inside hopper on the auger while someone else try's to turn it back and forth from the shaft end via something inserted inside set screw hole. A little patience will get it out. You may have to file a bit near set screw hole if you marred metal. Use Emery cloth to clean up top of auger shaft when out, clean up, then oil shaft and place back in stive a few times to get oil back on bushing. This usually works for 5 years of use. Or replace bushing if severely damaged. Good luck.

I will keep trying on it. I haven’t damaged the lower part. Yet. Lol I’ve tried banging the auger with a rubber pallet, prying pretty damn hard to no avail. The auger won’t turn I can only rock it back and forth slightly.

It makes sense that it’s stuck up there, the unit sat unused for a couple years the owner said. I feel better knowing there isn’t a set screw up there I’m missing. I was worried about damaging it more

I will keep trying on it. I haven’t damaged the lower part. Yet. Lol I’ve tried banging the auger with a rubber pallet, prying pretty damn hard to no avail. The auger won’t turn I can only rock it back and forth slightly.

It makes sense that it’s stuck up there, the unit sat unused for a couple years the owner said. I feel better knowing there isn’t a set screw up there I’m missing. I was worried about damaging it more

Ahhh thank you! I ran home quick and grabbed a 2x4 and put it in the auger in the hopper and hit it with a hammer and boom popped out! Was definitely rusted in there but looks cleanable. Thank you so much!