Can a Cawley 800 be successfully completely ,rebuilt by a guy with no stove experience and a bad back?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Also, it's illegal to have a wood stove in a shop that contains gasoline. Whether in a car or in a Jerry can.

Yes im going to take it apart for cement, i put a screen over the exhaust to keep any big ember’s from flying out, and used the front shelf(tray) to cover the lid opening’s. Had both doors open, it smoke initially but then wasn’t bad once it go going’s I cleaned all the ash out and blew it out with a leaf blower then wiped down with a towel. I also pulled the race car outta the garage just in case. Kept an eye on it till completely out with hose within reach
The real question is what type of racecar do you have? Looks like a dirt modified perhaps. Amod? Bmod? Do tell.>>

Reactions: Superdave444
My first chimney build/design…double wall piping from stove to the final 5’ straight single wall section. Still need a cap and also need to protect the roof edge somehow.

19E75B9A-4119-4FE3-93DA-19431FE39739.jpeg 3EF5F742-8083-4397-AA64-6074DF17ED71.jpeg 2E0F536F-2798-4CD1-894A-63A127A1B2D7.jpeg 211C5D5B-34D5-4B96-99A0-59C1AD57B48F.jpeg

Reactions: Todd
Yikes! Learn how to do this right and start over.

I mean we all saw how the test fire went, can we really be surprised here? Haha

Reactions: bholler
The flashing perfectly positions the pipe a minimum of 1”, from any part of the wall. I was following the recommendation stamped on the pipe of 1”….
I’m replacing the 8” single wall exterior section with a 6” double wall and cap. That’ll make it a completely double walled system.
Now i gotta design a reducer, I’m way over budget! I’ve got close to $100 wrapped up in the stove and over $125 into this custom chimney system! I had to spend another $8 today on a 8” damper that I need to research where to install.

B612F10A-9633-4FE0-8177-3C6C1BEB93C8.jpeg 985D7442-8CF8-47B6-AB7D-8B03DF53FF21.jpeg

The flashing perfectly positions the pipe a minimum of 1”, from any part of the wall. I was following the recommendation stamped on the pipe of 1”….
Can you show a picture of this ? I don't know of any stove pipe rated at 1". The clearance for single-wall is 18". Maybe the 8 was obscured? Double-wall stove pipe is 6" and clearly not for use outside of the room.

Type B 1” min
Sir, Type B pipe is for gas appliances. Not rated for anything close to as hot as that stove will make it. Hence the low clearence. Its not made for wood. You are playing a dangerous game.

Yes, the cap looks like a gas vent pipe. Definitely not rated for wood stove temps.

Reactions: Superdave444