can a downed tree be cut, split, and burned without much wait?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar experience to some above in regards to dead trees. Chopped down a big apple tree in July, expected to have to wait until next winter. Lo and behold, 3 months later we're at 15%. What a bonus that has turned out to be.

t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg ]
I cut a 15" silver maple in this condition last night, top half was at 17% to 15%, bottom half was at 18% to 22%, I think in a month the 18-22 half will be good to go.

Going to cut another tonight, I'll post pics of moisture % from top, middle and base.

Sorta forgot about this thread but here's pics of standing, 13 was top and 18 was middle, below the middle it was getting punky so i didn't bother with it

Last edited:
check it again on a fresh split so you're testing the approximate center of the tree.

check it again on a fresh split so you're testing the approximate center of the tree.

That is a fresh split, and the center, measured right after it was dropped, the 13% is a quarter split the 18% is a half.

Reactions: billb3
That is a fresh split, and the center, measured right after it was dropped, the 13% is a quarter split the 18% is a half.
Oh man on my laptop and bleary eyed at midnight that looked different.
You're doing it right then ! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.