Can a flue damper help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishteacher

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
Complained here all last winter about my Jotul 3cb burning only 350-375. Everyone responded saying it's the wood. Took the advice, changed wood supplier and the stove temp is significantly higher. 450-650 easy to achieve and cruise.
But here's my next question. My stove is a bit too small for the house,1900 sq Ft. and I realize that. My double-lined metal chimney flue goes staight up an open cathedral area in my home about 20 ft. to the ceiling and onward up and outside, a very strong draft. I get the definite feeling that I'm losing a lot of heat straight up the chimney. Even on low my well-seasoned wood burns quickly and I'm reloading. Could an old-fashioned cast iron disc damper installed in the double lined chimney just above the stove slow down the significant draft I've got to help retain heat in the stove and not so fast up the chimney? Or Am I trying to get more blood from a turnip, along with maybe still not fully understanding how this whole efficient combustion thing actually works?
Advice and comments here always helpful and appreciated

Hate this phrase, but been there, done that comes to mind. We had the F3CB in our old setup. I added a key damper to it and it helped a little, but mostly in our case, psychologically. The stove was too small.

In this case, with the very high ceiling there is a much larger cubic footage of space to heat. Nothing is going to be a substitute for creating enough btus to heat the space. That's going to take a properly sized stove which at a minimum will be at least twice the size of the F3CB or more. A ceiling fan will help if you have one, but basically your instincts are correct. The stove is quite undersized for the task at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.