Can a person really make a difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Looking for more SAM (simple, achievable, measurable) suggestions on what an individual can do to respectfully live in the earth ecosystem with the plants, animals, water and energy we mutually need to survive. Not looking to change the world, although that would be OK. Just what else a person can do..

Done already: CFL’s, well-insulated house, wood heat, insulated hot water pipes, high efficiency windows (R-8), minimized “always on” electrical stuff, low flow water fixtures, dual flush toilet, no unnecessary lights on, passive solar, landscaping to eliminate a/c, good mpg auto (30-35), greatly reduced convenience driving, recycle everything permitted, compost non-vermin food waste, no lawn fertilizer, no lawn watering, no bottled water, mostly eliminated junk mail

What ideas to move more from recycle to reuse and refill? What products available to accomplish this?

Big ideas?

2008 personal goals:
Reduce consumption of non-renewables
Reduce consumption of non-durable products
Reduce consumption of products that are energy intensive to manufacture or distribute
Reduce consumption of products manufactured with little regard for the environment
Re-examine “essential” driving to further reduce auto use
Continue to develop sustainable gardening skills
Spend more time on inter-personal relationships with family and friends

One simple thing that's often over looked is to buy products, whenever possible, that are locally produced since it reduces shipping. I think most people would be surprised to discover what's made almost in their own back yard. Around here most all the mills and plants have outlet stores or semi-annual sales. The products I can buy locally include tires, power tools, appliances, fabric, bread, produce, eggs, meat, and lumber. All my horse & pet food is produced locally as well.

I do not know where you live, but if your electricity is provided by Duke Energy, and you have an electric furnace or central air, they will come and do a free energy assessment for you. They can also put a thing on your central air that will let them remotely shut it off for a couple hours a day if the strain on the grid is too much (They pay you like $35.00 to do it)

Be careful making your house too tight, that ofton leads to mold, allergy problems and asthma issues

Status
Not open for further replies.