Can anyone explain trailer brakes/sway controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, one last question-nowhere in the manual is there a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), the figure for the maximum combined vehicle and trailer weight. As I said before, most hauling that I do will be with the whole family in the vehicle, so let's say that me, my wife, my daughter, the dog, and any cargo we have with us in the car amounts to 600lbs. Is it safe to say that having 600lbs of occupants/gear IN the vehicle knocks 600lbs off of the trailer capacity, or is it more complicated then that?

Badfish740 said:
Great discussion guys-thanks! Here's what I've learned so far: Electric brakes are the way to go, I probably DO need a brake controller, and what I want is a weight distributing hitch.

Highbeam said:
It is a very normal thing and easy to do but requires that you have an actual receiver style hitch. Is there a hitch like that on your Kia? The WDH system is about 400$ and the receiver hitch can be another 150$.

Indeed there is-mine came with the towing package and is already wired for lights and has a hidden 2" receiver hitch installed from the factory plus a heavy duty transmission cooler.

I have a spare Reese WD setup in my garage if you want. PM me if you want it, as long as you have a receiver that can hold it.

The GCWR is almost never listed on the door sticker or in the owner's manual. Most folks don't even know what it is and instead are only able to find the bogus marketing "tow rating" figure in the brochure.

Finding the GCWR can be a challenge. Major companies release "towing guides" that list the GCWR for various rear end and engine options. Calling Ford with my VIN number will get me my combined rating which is pretty small at 20,000#.

You should be able to get this info from Kia. You really do need it though since the bogus tow rating figure is usually for a stripped down two wheel drive with one driver and 3/4 tank of fuel and not specific to your vehicle as the GCWR is.

I have been an RV tower for many years and the RV folks get pretty serious about the GCWR, GVWR, and axle ratings. The so called "tow rating" is often ridiculed and proven to be misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.