Can anyone give me info about an older Wood Marc insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Banner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2010
Western NY
A local fellow is selling a Wood Marc wood burning insert. I am looking for a fairly cheap way to keep my ridiculously high gas bill down in the coming months. I have a friend who is an arborist and with that, I have all the wood I can split. I have seen photos and cosmetically, this thing seems to be in great shape...seldom used. While speaking to him on the phone, I learned that I do not need a chimney liner or stove pipe (my masonary chimney was recently inspected and found to be in good shape). Am I understanding this right? This thing just shoves into the opening, gets insulation packed around it and the cover put over the stove/opening? Sounds shady to me, but I am just a dumb carpenter. If someone can shed some light on my situation and let me know if these inserts are safe/efficient I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.