Can anyone help with an Identification on an older stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 19, 2010
CT
Friend moved into new house and has this. They were asking if it could / should be used this winter. I had no idea what it was, but figured I'd look into it.

If anyone has an idea I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you.

AEED01DD-8245-4364-BDE1-D86F76C71F59.jpeg

Not sure, it kind of looks like an Upland knock-off.

Is the stove connected to a proper stainless liner? Most importantly the friends need to have the chimney checked out to make sure it is clean and safe to use.

Reactions: ct_administrator
Hey there Begreen, thank you for your response. I was looking up Upland, and stumbled upon what I think it is in a google search. I think it's a Cawley LeMay, and will have to investigate further. I'm going to drive down to check out the stove, flue pipes, and especially the chimney. It's their first stove ever, so everything has to be looked at. I was curious to know what to look for before I went.

Thank you again. You saved me quite a bit of time.

The pic shows an open stove collar... That doesn't bode well.

I'm also not sure it is smart to start as a stove operator with a stove that needs careful attention and knowing what to do to avoid e.g. overfiring or creosote accumulation.

Finally, if they have a stove, do they have dry wood? Buying it likely won't be dry enough to burn this winter.

The pic shows an open stove collar... That doesn't bode well.

I'm also not sure it is smart to start as a stove operator with a stove that needs careful attention and knowing what to do to avoid e.g. overfiring or creosote accumulation.

Finally, if they have a stove, do they have dry wood? Buying it likely won't be dry enough to burn this winter.
All valid concerns, and some of them I've brought up myself. I said I'd come to give everything a look, but also noted to them that there is a very big chance the stove isn't usable in it's current state and condition.

Reactions: stoveliker
It's good for them to have an experienced advisor.