Hoping to refurb my Upland (maybe a 107? photos included to help ID)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StoryLaurie

Nov 17, 2023
Delancey, NY
What a great site this is. I'm so happy to have found this place, and also to have read the history of Upland stove company -- and thereby learn that the stoves were originally manufactured in Greene, NY, which is not too far from where I live in the Catskill Mountains.

An Upland stove came with the house I bought last fall. Foolishly, I ran the stove all last winter without doing anything to it...and have waited 'til, um, now to look into parts and info on the size gasket I should use, etc. I need a door handle, gasket, and it seems I could use a baffle (there's only 1), and a liner or two for the back of the stove.

Google brought me here (yay) and also to woodsmanspartsplus where it seems I could get most (if not all) of these things. But not cheap. Might there be anyone here (or out on the interwebs) who has parts perhaps at a better price? I also wonder if I need to use the baffle that was designed, or could maybe somehow install some other piece(s) of metal (steel? cast iron?) to achieve what needs to be done.

Also, I'd love help in IDing the stove, so I can make sure I get the right parts, especially if I am going to have to get ones specifically recommended for this stove.

Also...I kinda hate to ask, but also feel I must...does anyone know how this stove would fare on the EPA rating scale, assuming in full working order with all the parts. Big assumption, I know. And perhaps unfair to ask?

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide! :)

-- Laurie Mc

IMG_5400.jpgIMG_5401.jpgIMG_5402.jpg

@StoryLaurie these were good stoves. The founder of Hearth.com used to sell them. Yours looks like it may be a model 107.

It won't compete for low emissions with modern EPA stoves, but it was a solid heater and worthy of cleaning up.

At some point the price of the parts and lower efficiency may lead you to mass produced EPA stove. Plenty of firms may sell old stove parts but they are probably all buying them from the same source, unless you get lucky that someone is parting one out on Ebay, I dont see you beating Woodsman Parts for price unless the factory still exists.

@StoryLaurie these were good stoves. The founder of Hearth.com used to sell them. Yours looks like it may be a model 107.

It won't compete for low emissions with modern EPA stoves, but it was a solid heater and worthy of cleaning up.
That's one of my other big concerns -- the emissions. Even with all the parts in place, it's still not great on that, so prob better to just try to find a different stove, it seems. Sadly. Thanks for the reply! :)

That's one of my other big concerns -- the emissions. Even with all the parts in place, it's still not great on that, so prob better to just try to find a different stove, it seems. Sadly. Thanks for the reply! :)
There are good modern stoves for as little as $1000 that will burn cleanly and provide a nice fire view. Maybe consider taking a day to clean up the Upland and give it a nice paint job. That could help sell it quickly and provide a downpayment on a new stove.

PS: If you decide to keep it for this season then at least replace the stove pipe. It's due.

At some point the price of the parts and lower efficiency may lead you to mass produced EPA stove. Plenty of firms may sell old stove parts but they are probably all buying them from the same source, unless you get lucky that someone is parting one out on Ebay, I dont see you beating Woodsman Parts for price unless the factory still exists.
Yes, this is precisely what I've been wondering. It sounds like I'm already there. So then I guess my next question would be which stove of similar dimensions (& right size/design for my space) won't break the bank. But I'm guessing such questions are discussed in a different forum here. A friend is selling the
There are good modern stoves for as little as $1000 that will burn cleanly and provide a nice fire view. Maybe consider taking a day to clean up the Upland and give it a nice paint job. That could help sell it quickly and provide a downpayment on a new stove.

PS: If you decide to keep it for this season then at least replace the stove pipe. It's due.
I agree with all that you said. Thank you!