In hindsight, what would you have checked...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

corona5k1635

Dec 31, 2023
Eastern PA
Hello, new user here. I am getting a Regency Hi2450 wood-stove insert professionally installed in a couple of weeks. It will be placed into an existing exterior wall masonry fireplace that was originally built in the 60s. This past year I had professionals seal and insulate my attic and wow after many YouTube videos I had all the info I needed to check the work myself because it is so hard to get quality contractors who are experienced, smart, and diligent, taking pride in their work. I'm not capable of DIY when it comes to big projects like these.

My question is, what should I check for / ask during the installation? After reading many, many posts on this really great forum, it appears I should check:

1. The gasket using the dollar bill trick
2. Ask about getting a block-plate or how else they plan to seal off the chimney at the bottom
3. The blower by turning it on and hearing it run

That's all I've gleaned at this point. (There's kind of a lot to learn here...) But I figure, perhaps some of you have also had professional installation of your insert and, in hindsight you realize what you really wish you could go back and tell yourself to check and ask about before those installers left?!!

That is me right now. Looking for wisdom!

Any help would be appreciated.

I would make sure they install an insulated liner, especially if it is an exterior chimney. And yes a blockoff plate is important but in my experience most installers don't want to get involved with that. At least in my area no one wanted to do it so I had to make one myself later after my insert was already installed.

Reactions: all night moe
Let’s see, I agree with insulated liner and block off plate. The installers may need to break out terra cotta tiles. Make sure the crown is in good shape. You don’t want water intrusion issues. I like a screen in the cap to keep squirrels and birds out. Make sure you have 16” of protection in front of the stove.

Not related to the install, but dry wood is essential. Don’t trust sellers who say it is dry or seasoned. Their understanding of that word may be different than yours.

Reactions: all night moe
Their understanding of that word may be different than yours.
Like that!!....In addition. Their understanding of that word "dry" is almost always different then reality.

You should have a written estimate describing the work to be performed. My 90's clay lined chimney failed, requiring installation of a SS flex liner. I went with a heavy insulated liner (.016" thickness) ...I also installed a .005 thickness liner for my oil boiler. I would never recommend a light duty liner for woodstoves. The performance of the SS liner has far exceeded the original clay 7x7 ID liner.
So I 3rd the recommendations of:
1. Heavy Flex insulated liner.
2. For your insert a block off plate installed
3. A quality crown/support for the liner at the top of the chimney
4. This should all be spelled out on the estimate/invoice.

Most installers will tell you that the top plate (chimney cap) is enough to keep the heat in, this is purely because they did not factor the labor cost into building a block off plate, they want to get in and get out doing 2-3 installs a day.
Insulated liner is a biggie, do not get talked out of that, offer additional $$$ for a block off plate ahead of time, dont spring it on the actual installers the day of, if they can't do it, proceed with the install as is and make plans in the summer to have one installed (A licensed chimney sweep maybe interested with the work)
Its winter, so having the install done is imperative, you dont want to delay that if you can avoid it.

Thank you guys so much, this is very helpful. I will bring these points up with my installer. I've still got 2 weeks till install date so like you said, I hope they can make some adjustments as needed. As for the insulated liner...my estimate says "flex vent and liner" and is quoted at $1775....looks like I need to ask detail about that!