Can beggars be choosers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Well, this is a little bold. :)

http://albany.craigslist.org/zip/1620136617.html

"Do you have downed trees and wood ? I will remove any good hard wood for free!!!! No PINE AND OR BRUSH. You can Contact me via e-mail at (e-mail_removed)@aol.com. Please leave your name and phone number so I can contact you. A picture of the wood would be helpful. West Sand Lake area only but if is good hard wood I will travel. A donation for gas would be apprecaited."

Sure dont sould like begging.. He looking for down tree's home owners dont want to pay to have removed would be my guess.

I couldn't think of a better title!

Just thought it was interesting. Its a little bold to ask for gas money when many folks will just gratefully do it for free in exchange for the wood.

homebrewz said:

Just thought it was interesting. Its a little bold to ask for gas money when many folks will just gratefully do it for free in exchange for the wood.

lol I agree but some areas will get hit hard from a storm (lots of home owners needing help) and if you have to run a long distance could make the deal happen when otherwise could not afford to do the job.. Not saying its right but he is a 100 percent scrounger for sure!

If he's a member here, I'd like to follow a thread of how many takers he gets, especially for gas.

Vic99 said:
If he's a member here, I'd like to follow a thread of how many takers he gets, especially for gas.

me too I had one job that should have ask for gas but did not! In the futher if its a hudge job like that one was I might (8 very large silver maples 35 miles from me) estimate he got was 600.00 bucks a tree to have removed. (tree services)

Vic99 said:

Now that would be interesting.

This was posted in the free section, btw. Might be borderline free/wanted/services.

homebrewz said:

I am not sure you're right that 'many' people will gratefully do it for free. Some will, but if there are a lot of trees in a small area, those few probably can't meet the demand for their services. We had a very early snow storm here last fall that knocked down probably a couple thousand trees and who knows how many large branches (this is State college, PA, not a large town). Although there are tons of people who burn wood, many homeowners still paid tree services to cut up and remove trees. Even some people with only a few limbs paid for removal. Maybe a few of them would respond to the ad, and it only takes a few answers to make the ad worthwhile. By the way, after that storm I saw ads offering to remove good firewood that was ready to haul, no cutting or brush handling was mentioned. That makes this guy seem pretty reasonable.

Good point, WD. OK, I'll have to relent a bit from my original view. I do wonder what kinds of responses he gets. I've posted on CL around here offering to clean up trees for folks with no takers. Depends on the area I'd say. Around here there are so many wood burners, that most scores are gone in a short amount of time.

homebrewz said:
Good point, WD. OK, I'll have to relent a bit from my original view. I do wonder what kinds of responses he gets. I've posted on CL around here offering to clean up trees for folks with no takers. Depends on the area I'd say. Around here there are so many wood burners, that most scores are gone in a short amount of time.

thats the way it is around here but, most run with smaller saws so if your running with bigger saws you can bet the trunk will still be there on the big ones.

Had a similar experience last fall. Guy answered an ad that I'll cut and remove hardwood. He was 30 miles from my home. I showed up on a Sat morn, I was met by the tree company guy who bid the job-that was uncomfortable. The home owner must have told him when I said I'd be there. The tree company guy said he had bid the job at $3,000 bucks and wasn't real happy I was there. I removed 75% of the red oak trees he wanted gone, and did it for the wood. I made 3 trips and filled 2 trucks and trailers. All cut and split it ended up at 2 full cords. After all the work we did and the gas money, chain and saw wear, the fact the tree's where on a steep hill, I'd gladly pay to have seasoned wood delivered. The home owner got a great deal, I got a sore back and some wood. Asking for gas money would have been a good idea, and still would have save the home owner a bundle of cash.

Ad has been flagged for removal. Bet some CL hyper-control type watcher found request for gas money donation OFFENSIVE to free stuff. One time I posted a Want To Buy: Washer/Dryer in the Appliance section (not the WTB section). I got 3 nastygrams about how I was TOTALLY WRECKING CL. LOL

dougand3 said:
Ad has been flagged for removal. Bet some CL hyper-control type watcher found request for gas money donation OFFENSIVE to free stuff. One time I posted a Want To Buy: Washer/Dryer in the Appliance section (not the WTB section). I got 3 nastygrams about how I was TOTALLY WRECKING CL. LOL

That's funny.. not all washers and dryers shall necessarily be free :)

I was going to say the ads like that on the local CL all get flagged . I noticed one the other day that said "will not take brush or clean up and won't take pine, box elder , poplar or other sub par woods" The folks that get me are the "dealers" that act like they are selling grandma's old car she only drove on sunday to church.
Then you notice they have several ad's running with similar stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.