1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Can cold weather impact how the stove runs?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by buggs_moran, Dec 31, 2011.

1. buggs_moran

buggs_moran New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    My Breckwell P4000 Classic Cast is vented straight through the wall. About 2.5 feet of 3" with a 45 down angle at the end. Is it possible for temperatures under a certain amount to influence how the stove functions? When is was below 20 the other day we had all kinds of issues with the stove not running properly. Its above 20 now and everything seems fine. The stove has run well for over a day... Would it be a good idea to run some vertical pipe?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Did you change the firing rate on that stove when it was colder?

While contemplating that question tell us all about how the combustion blower on that unit operates and the need if any to adjust your draft when you change the firing rate, a lot of Breckwells run their combustion blowers full speed and thus need to have a different draft setting for each firing rate.
  3. buggs_moran

buggs_moran New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I tried putting the stove on the second setting (there are four, but the fourth burns WAY too hot). The stove did stay on the longest at this setting. I have what might be a related post (quoted below) describing how the convection blower oscillates (and this all seems to have started during a windy, cold (15 deg F) night...

This fluctuation has disappeared entirely. I'm not positive if its because the outside temp went up or not. Rather baffling...
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The only thing that colder temperature would impact is the need to up the firing rate, on some stoves you also have to change the draft otherwise you get an incomplete burn with all of its attendant problems, now if your convection blower starts acting strange when you increase the firing rate chances are that it is loaded with dust and crud, hasn't been lubricated according to instructions (if it has oil ports), the air inside the stove shell is hotter than the thermal protection on the blower allows, the stove is overheating (some stoves just stop the pellet flow and resume it when the temperature falls), your controller is wonky, or the pof is wonky (this usually also results in the combustion blower also acting strange, but really depends upon the stove).