can green wood be seasoned by nov?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i am getting 2-4 cords hardwood next week if i stack it will it be ready.. i have tall trees in the backyard .. it will get some sun but not all day long
is it possible?

I burn wood each year that has had 9 months to season. It's not perfect but it still burns nice and hot. Losing a little efficiency but nothing terrible. Not everyone is able to get more then one years wood into their available space. Just keep it wide open in the sun and wind as much as possible and make a conscious effort to cover it beofre rains during the summer and covered in the fall and into the winter.

I have been heating this joint with 9-10 month seasoned oak for 25 years. In fact next year will be the first time I have ever put over a year seasoned wood into the stoves since I got a year ahead last summer.

And since the liners went in and the EPA stoves, no crap in the chimneys.

Edit: And my house is smack in the middle of five acres of tall trees.

being in western mass you will not have the "ocean effect" fog and such as bad , yeah though it may not be all the way seasoned as long as its well vented and can catch some sun without being rained on it should be just fine if already felled and bucked, stacked etc.

stoveguy2esw said:
being in western mass you will not have the "ocean effect" fog and such as bad , yeah though it may not be all the way seasoned as long as its well vented and can catch some sun without being rained on it should be just fine if already felled and bucked, stacked etc.

you sound like you know western mass well you must have been here

Hey iceman,

There is a way to season firewood in 3 months to 1 year seasoned less than 20% moisture levels. At the top of this page on right ,click on hearth wiki.
When you get on wiki page,on left see " wiki tiltes" listed in the menu. click on it.
on title list page look for article " not so ez solar still" & click on it. There is also a article
titled "ez solar still" but that one requires a junk car in the yard to be the still.

For 4 cords of wood, it would definately be worth the effort. But that is just in my opinion, yours may vary. Take a look see , anyways, & then decide.

I know I'll get some disagreements on this, but I have good luck storing a face cord or two in the garage. Only in the early spring though. When I pull two hot cars in all summer the heat bakes out the moisture. If you place wood in the garage late summer, early fall it doesn't dry much at all.

BrotherBart said:
I have been heating this joint with 9-10 month seasoned oak for 25 years. In fact next year will be the first time I have ever put over a year seasoned wood into the stoves since I got a year ahead last summer.

And since the liners went in and the EPA stoves, no crap in the chimneys.

Edit: And my house is smack in the middle of five acres of tall trees.

I`m in the middle of a forest as well, just make sure the woodsheds are well ventilated.. If ya don`t do that, then 10 months wont be enough.

*it`s no wonder that BB and I have been picked to "star" in grumpy old men 3, we both live in the middle of a damn forest, that would make anyone grumpy :)

Chettt said:
I know I'll get some disagreements on this,
but I have good luck storing a face cord or two in the garage.
Only in the early spring though. When I pull two hot cars in all summer the heat bakes out the moisture. If you place wood in the garage late summer, early fall it doesn't dry much at all.

Hey chettt,
While I agree that the heat of the car's engines will help season the wood, how good would you consider your luck if the stack of wood fell over on your car hood??
Or up against the car door or quater panel or front fender.

Instead of having good luck with it, you would have to say that you had really rotten luck.

I already had 3 stacks of firewood fall over on me & the only thing good I have to say about that is that the stacks were not in the garage & not near anything that they could damage.

Wait a minute,I think that the wood put a dent in my floor when it fell over but its had to tell if that is a new dent or was there for 9 years. Oh well,whats 1 new dent amoung 12 older ones, anyways.

Yes , storing wood in the garage works well , as long as the wood is more than the hiegth of the wood stack away from the car.
If you don't have that much room in the garage, consider a plywood retainer & shield, bolted & nailed into place, & glued too,if you feel that you must, between the car & the wood.

;-P Just don't get confused & glue the plywood to the car!!!! :p

iceman you should be OK if the stacked wood gets morning sun...that way the morning due gets dried off. Just don't cover it and the wind will help dry it out. It probably won't be dried out totally but will still burn well.

Dont forget about species. Ash is always quick to season. Red oak...well see ya in 2010.

Wood bucked to shorter lengths and split into smaller pieces will season quicker than largers pieces.

no problem under decent stacked location. I typically have logs delivered in April and all split/stacked by end of May...Then I start burning it in October..Never had much problem..5months of drying uncovered directly in the sun

Not much of a problem. You won't get the full BTU's but you burn what you have. Maybe order an extra cord or two and start on the following year's fuel. Also buy a can of Rutland creosote remover to use in your stove if you start having problems. Course if the rain doesn't stop!!

rj, can you post a picture of this? Do the Danish trolleys deliver the wood to the house? :)

You should be OK, Ice. Put it where it can at least get some sun, and hopefully a good breeze. If you are stacking in some sort of rack... stack it a lottle loose, so it can get even more air moving through it. Depending on who you are getting if from, the wood may have already been cut and split for some time, so that only helps.

I have found that stacking loose is key!
And on pallets or something that keeps it off the ground.

Harley said:
You should be OK, Ice. Put it where it can at least get some sun, and hopefully a good breeze. If you are stacking in some sort of rack... stack it a lottle loose, so it can get even more air moving through it. Depending on who you are getting if from, the wood may have already been cut and split for some time, so that only helps.

its really green he said he was getting it next week

[/quote]

its really green he said he was getting it next week[/quote]

One year I got super stinky green stuff I did not think it would be ready until next burn season as it stuck up the whole neighborhood.
I tried some when January came around & it was dry & burned great.
Where I live has very high humidity, I could of just got lucky maybe.
But I had it stacked loose & off the ground & covered when needed when September got here.
Anyway, I have found that how my wood is stacked makes a difference in drying.
The BF stacks too tight, the air flow makes a world of difference I have noticed.

Girl said:
I have found that how my wood is stacked makes a difference in drying.
The BF stacks too tight, the air flow makes a world of difference I have noticed.

Probably just need some new, better wood. . . . I mean stacker . . . I MEAN BF!! :red:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Probably just need some new, better wood. . . . I mean stacker . . . I MEAN BF!! :red:

Hey, don't knock it! Any free labor when it comes to handling firewood is better than having to do it yourself!

Try training him ;-)

BeGreen said:
Do the Danish trolleys deliver the wood to the house? :)

I think they should deliver pastries!!!

I'd like to see a picture of this too. Actually sounds like an interesting design.

-SF

Ken45 said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Hey, don't knock it! Any free labor when it comes to handling firewood is better than having to do it yourself!

Try training him ;-)

I didn't complain, no way! I just mentioned casually not to stack so compact ;)
It was a wonderful site to come home to after 12 hours at the office!

Status
Not open for further replies.