Can I burn wood in my fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My read of that is that it's pertaining to parts during the installation of the heatilator ("...will result in a safe installation [of the heatilator]"). That could be interpreted differently though I guess. All the originals parts are still there. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the post.
Yes but you installed a non approved accessory in it which it clearly says you cannot do. And the instructions for installing your insert says "the factory-built zero clearance fireplace is listed" And as soon as you took the grate and damper out and put the insert in you voided the listing on the fireplace so you are no longer conforming to either set of instructions. Believe me the manufacturers have covered them selves from the liability point of view so if anything goes wrong it is all on the homeowner and or installer.

If you are aware of these issues and ok with it that is up to you but I have an issue with people telling others that it is fine to install an insert in a zc fireplace when it is not in most cases.

Other than the damper & installing an insulated liner, the unit has not been permanently altered. According to my Regency manual, our installation is allowed. The first picture refers to UL127, which the EC36 does state.

f14c53f7847252fa220cfee6a4f87086.jpg

da89f40a29c7857476d7272685acc434.jpg

These are the reasons that we installed what we did.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That is a warning that is vague at best though when pertaining to this situation.
It is meant to be vague and wide reaching so it covers them for anything someone might try to do with their unit

According to my Regency manual, our installation is allowed. The first picture refers to UL127, which the EC36 does state.
Yes the regency manual not the heatilator manual. And yes the heatilator is listed to ul 127 but it says if you install any accessories that are not in the list of approved accessories that listing is void. I have been through this many times I have attended classes and lectures about installing and csia lawyers talked about this issue specifically in length at the convention in Lancaster. The manufacturers have put wording into their manuals which make it so they have no liability.

We moved into our current home last year. The fire place already had a gas log set in it. There is no blower, so I feel like every time I use the fireplace, I'm just tossing money up the flue. So, can someone tell me (based on attached pictures) if I can remove the gas logs, install a gas starter pipe, and burn wood in there instead. I do have a functional flue with a damper that needs to be open when the gas logs are burning. Any info is greatly appreciated.
I am sorry we got so off track. From what we can see there is no reason it could not go back to a woodburning fireplace. But when your sweep gets there he will be able to tell you more. I hope everything works out for you. I don't think you would be allowed to install a log lighter according to the fireplace manufacturers instruction but I may be wrong.

Regardless of what the manufacturer does or does not say- wood catches fire at about 450F. A stove can cruise at 600 degrees stovetop. Do you want that below a wood framed "chimney", especially if there's an accidental overfire?

I understand there's some air space between the liner and the framing, but I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.