Can I connect Duravent to ICC Excel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
Is it possible to connect Duravent double wall from stove to ICC through wall support? Just asking as this stove install is getting expensive and can save a little dough with the Duravent from the local hardware store.

Absolutely, the chimney and connector pipe do not need to be the same brand. Yo just can't mix brands if chimneys.

webby how do you securely join and anchor the different pipes without the DuraVent DVL connector?

I already have this through wall set up in the basement
Screenshot_20161205-174617.png

Last edited by a moderator:
webby how do you securely join and anchor the different pipes without the DuraVent DVL connector?
Each brand of chimney has a stovepipe adaptor, that part is needed, but it doesn't know what brand of connector pipe is being hooked to it. I predrill and shoot some SS self drilling screws through the double wall and into the adaptor. That's the only place where I'm ok with screws penetrating the double wall inner pipe. Most chimney adaptors are just a smooth SS tail piece that hangs out, there's no other way to securely connect stove pipe to it. The directions conveniently omit any directions on how to securely make this connection. I opt to shoot screws through it.

Reactions: saydinli
The DVL adapter has raised sections that lock with the support box or their insulated thimble. That was the connection I was wondering about. Normally you insert, then twist to lock. This creates a locked, inner sleeve connection between the two. It sounds like you screw through the thimble jacket into the adapter, correct? Do you predrill so that the screw doesn't inadvertently buckle the adapter? That is pretty thin metal.

The DVL adapter has raised sections that lock with the support box or their insulated thimble. That was the connection I was wondering about. Normally you insert, then twist to lock. This creates a locked, inner sleeve connection between the two. It sounds like you screw through the thimble jacket into the adapter, correct? Do you predrill so that the screw doesn't inadvertently buckle the adapter? That is pretty thin metal.
Always pre-drill.

Dura-vent has a couple different adapters. Previously all the adapters worked fine, then they came out with one that was specifically for duravent to duravent applications. Their single wall adaptor is the same as their old double wall adaptor, there was no distinction in the past.

Maybe you are talking about Dura-plus? We never install that system, I'm not very familiar with it.

I simply predrill through the double wall pipe, through the adaptor then run a 1" screw through all layers.

No, just DVL, I've never worked with DuraPlus either, only DVL to Duratech, but have not tied DVL to a non-DuraVent brand thimble.

No, just DVL, I've never worked with DuraPlus either, only DVL to Duratech, but have not tied DVL to a non-DuraVent brand thimble.
The Dura-vent we use allows the piece of pipe to pass completely through the thimble. Then a finishing collar with the adaptor attach to the end of the pipe. It's the Dura-Tech line

Any suggestions on what I may need to make my set up work. Its in my new home yet to be finished so can't currently measure it, but can get some measurements some night this week if needed.

All you really need to make sure of is that the thimble has a single wall piece of SS that protrudes past the thimble. Almost every brand will have this, excel will be no different. You can hook onto that.

Status
Not open for further replies.