1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Can I damage my pellets by stacking them too high?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by arcticcat1, Sep 6, 2010.

1. arcticcat1

arcticcat1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Me.
    With lower pellet prices this year I've begun to start hoarding for the 2011-2012 season and with limited space in my basement I'm having to stack them pretty high (12-15 high).Some of these may sit there till the end of next season&I don't want them to be sawdust by the time I get to burning them.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    Since they double stack pallets at the manufacturers storage facilities I'd say no... I never had any problems and my dealer double stacks 'em.
  3. arcticcat1

arcticcat1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Me.
    The picture answers my question with out a doubt & you will be happy to know that the pellets I'm hoarding are Okies.Thanks.
  4. tonyd

tonyd Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hughesville Md
    Because its the norm doesn't make it right. If you had a choice, would you want your pellets from the top or bottom? We have purchased 22 tons at work and I make sure I pick mine up before they get handled and stacked. They have to crumble the higher their stacked. Just my take
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    LG's are 15 row (1.5 ton) pallets.

The weight per square inch from a pallet of pellets on the bottom pellets is slightly less than one pound per square inch (on a 43" x 50" pallet of Cubex it is 0.9302 pounds per square inch for the one ton 10 row stack).

Your stacking won't cause any problems, just don't be rough when handling them.
  6. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    I hand stacked 2 tons ibn a small area, after a week 30+ bags tipped over, thank god my car wasn't parked next them, it's a Focus which would of turned into a Festiva!!
  7. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    handling would do more damage than stacking the pallets on top of each other
    rough handling will break pellets
    stacking them and leaving them alone
    should have no affect
  8. holstein

holstein Member

Loc:
    Goffstown, NH
    FWIW, I recently attended an open house at the NEWP Jaffrey location and they had plenty of pellets in their yard stacked 4 pallets high.
  9. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    they usually put a piece of plywood/etc between each skid stack to spread the weight load as well, so keep tha tin mind.
  10. vvvv

vvvv New Member

Loc:
    MAINE
  11. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    Handling them too much does more damage than stacking them high.

I re-stack 14-16 high in my basement each year and the ones on the bottom
    are fine when I finally get to them. First year I made the mistake of stacking
    the bags all in the same direction and they fell over constantly. Now I stack
    each row (3&2) like the mfr does, and they stay put.
  12. rowerwet

rowerwet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    if you do get crumbled pellets from stacking them too high I will dispose of them properly for you... ;-)
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

x2