Can I get a wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
BIL had a large tree come down in a recent storm - sent me a picture this evening that he's got tons of this for me to cut and carry. The leaf looks like beech but bark looks wrong:

image.jpg

Box elder. I have a bunch of smaller ones of those in my side yard. Have dropped a few that were in the way, I'm letting the others grow. It's in the maple family. It burns ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
That I definitely know is boxelder.....had many in the patch of wood near where I grew up. They held tree houses pretty good. I remember the one being at least 20 inches in diameter.

Box is kind of a soft Maple-class wood, definitely usable. They aren't too sturdy, branches break easily.

Good shoulder wood on par with Silver Maple heat wise, dries out fairly quickly like Silver also, CSS now into 3" diam. apx single row stacking in good wind and sun likely be good to go come this fall.

Thanks all, Box Elder it is - I knew I could count on y'all! It's getting CSS this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.