Can I have a woodburning stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starwars1138

Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2010
Atlanta Metro Area
Howdy All,

I have what may be a silly question. Since you all are likely used to such things, I'll just get on with it...

I am interested in a wood burning stove insert. However, I do NOT currently have a traditional masonry fireplace. Instead, I have a gas log fireplace insert thingie that has had the gas logs removed so as to burn wood. It is terribly inefficient and burns through wood very quickly…

My question is this – since wood burning stove inserts seem to be specially made to be inserted into existing masonry fireplaces, am I out of luck, or can I basically replace one insert (my “decorative” formerly gas log insert) for the other (a wood burning stove insert)?

I know what I want, I just don’t know if I can get there from here. Obviously a free-standing wood burning stove would work but I am limited by the aesthetic requirements imposed by my better half.

Thanks in advance for possibly pointing me in the right direction!

Best,
Chris in Atlanta

How is the gas log (wood burning) insert vented? As I understand, the logs and gas have been removed and the insert now burns wood, but inefficiently?
It seems as if this would be a swap, if at all possible. Not sure what you can do about the esthtics for the other half. Though I'm still confused on where this insert is located, if not in a masonry opening.

That's a good question. I assume we are talking about exhaust vent...? There is a flue that goes up the "chimney" - I say chimney but it appears to be a flue pipe within a siding tower attached to the side of the house (if that makes any sense...) that of course exits out of the roof.

If we are talking about intake (fresh air) venting then I think it brings in air from the room only and doesn't have any kind of external air supply coming in from outside the house - least none that I can see.

Does any of that make sense?

this is exactly the situation i am facing except I have no gas. the "chimney" is a large pipe going up into the attic then through an opening in the roof yet is enclosed in a 'shell" of wood which is covered with siding---something that seems pretty common on newer houses. I am considering replacing the whole factory fireplace and running a stainless liner inside of the current chimney----my question now is, can/should I put a liner inside the current chimney? Or should I scrap the whole thing and install a new chimney---- I kinda think the liner would be easier if it is possible.

If I were in your shoes I'd get a professional opinion from a reputable shop or sweep to look over exactly what you have and what you can transition too.

+1 on the HE fireplace if the rest of the stack is up to snuff.

starwars1138 said:
Howdy All,

My question is this – since wood burning stove inserts seem to be specially made to be inserted into existing masonry fireplaces, am I out of luck, or can I basically replace one insert (my “decorative” formerly gas log insert) for the other (a wood burning stove insert)?

Thanks in advance for possibly pointing me in the right direction!
Best,
Chris in Atlanta

No, your not out of luck. If you have and it sounds like you do a Zero Clarence Insert. They do make inserts for them but you will need a liner for the chimney too. The best advice is to find out what ZC insert you have and then go to a stove shop to see what one is rated for what ZC insert you have.

Your other option is to rip it out and install an new efficent one.

Going Once...

I installed a Regency I2400 insert in my prefab fireplace. It sounds like what you have. I contacted the manufacture of fireplace and they said it was ok to add the insert. You will probably have to reline the chimney. Are you going to install this yourself?

Chris, it would help a lot to identify the current ZC fireplace. Look for a nametag with the make and model somewhere on it. Or post a picture here so that we might identify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.