Can I make a new baffle for my craftsbury out of soapstone? Would it be safe or even help in heat r

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcjarrell

Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Does the material of the baffle in a Craftsbury stove matter? If I wanted to buy a piece of soapstone and cut it to the exact same dimensions as the baffle in my stove, would it be safe to replace it?

I like the idea of adding some extra thermal mass. And it seems that all the baffle does is redirect the flow of heat past the tubes. Soapstone could do this.

But would the added thermal mass be detrimental?

Just curious.

Thanks!

I don't think that the ceramic baffle and soapstone have anything in common. Why would stove mfrs. use ceramic, if soapstone worked as well?

DanCorcoran said:
I don't think that the ceramic baffle and soapstone have anything in common. Why would stove mfrs. use ceramic, if soapstone worked as well?

Soapstone would be MUCH more expensive, I would think.

Shawn

I can't imagine it would do anything better than some angle irons with firebrick, or even a piece of stainless or properly formed steel.
The purpose is usually just to redirect the gases and also to mix them with air being let in at other levels of the firebox.....so the particular material should not matter very much. In practice, it is often the lowest cost method. Travis industry used firebrick sitting in angle irons...and then a small ceramic blanket on top of it to make sure air didn't get through the baffle.

Ever lift a piece of that stuff?

No it isn't a good idea. You will find it and the burn tubes laying on top of a smoldering heap some morning.

Its definitely not light,3/4" thick weighs roughly the same as marble or limestone.15lbs per square foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.