Can I modify incorrect woodstove chimney flashing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GBell

Dec 26, 2022
South Dakota
A contractor mistakenly installed 0/12-6/12 woodstove chimney flashing on my roof that is an 8/12 pitch. I'm in middle of installing a cedar shake roof and the flashing is already in place and the shakes have already been installed, so I'm not keen on removing the flashing now and dealing with uninstalling and reinstalling shakes. Am I safe to modify the flashing he installed by trimming the top to re-center the opening for the chimney pipe? I assume all my clearances would still be fine (6-inch pipe). Thanks for any help you can provide.

You should be fine, but you may hafta use a larger storm collar to ensure it completely covers the opening at the top of the flashing.