Can I move my wood burning stove from the basement to the main level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpaulson12

Oct 4, 2015
Cedar Springs, MI
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a house that has a chimney with two separate flues in it, one for a wood stove, and another for the water heater, both of which are tied into the chimney in the basement. I would like to cap off the flue in the basement for the wood stove and move it up to the main level. Can I just screw some sheet metal into the flue in the basement to cover the hole from the wood stove, maybe put some fireplace mortar or caulking to use as a gasket down there, and tap into the same flue on the main level?

I appreciate some advice from the pros!

Jon

Greetings and welcome. The ideal solution is to drop a 6" stainless liner down the chimney for the stove. It will terminate at a tee with a cap on the bottom and the snout goes out the new thimble on the main floor.

Greetings and welcome. The ideal solution is to drop a 6" stainless liner down the chimney for the stove. It will terminate at a tee with a cap on the bottom and the snout goes out the new thimble on the main floor.

Aw man, my house is 2.5 stories with a steep roof pitch and heights scare me! So I would have to pull my old liner out through the top of the chimney and slide a new one down and tee into it on the main level? Would I be able to (as a 2nd option) just cut a hole through the cinder on the main level and tee into it there and cap off the basement tee? Please tell me yes! :)

When you talk about liner, do you mean a clay liner or is there already a stainless steel liner in the chimney flue?

Perhaps theoretically possible? Cutting the liner at the new location and then adding a new tee + end cap would require a large opening at the new location that would then need to be patched.
If the current snout can be removed then the liner can be pulled up until the snout opening is at the new thimble location. Then the snout can be reattached.

Status
Not open for further replies.