Can I repair this gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhburnguy

Nov 27, 2013
So I found a small break in my door gasket today. Probably explains why my stove has been getting too hot and hard to control. The rest of the gasket is fine.
This is only my second season with the stove so I haven't replaced it yet. Is this small enough to repair, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Thanks!
Nick

7cf9890ef00c7ed2cf5e4e8d12715770.jpg

I'm having a hard time seeing the break in the picture. Is it where the ends are jointed together? The door gasket is cheap and easy to replace, so if you're concerned you might as well do it.

Dont think that would cause an issue? When the door shuts the pressure kind of smashes everything together.

If your door is adjustable you may want to make sure it's tight all around. Try the dollar bill test, but from what I can see in the picture I doubt that little area would cause to much leakage to cause trouble controlling the stove.

Ya I think you guys are right. I'm going to do the dollar bill test and see what happens. It's probably just my draft in this freezing weather that is making the inferno hard to control. Definitely won't change the gasket out this week regardless. Need the stove running 24/7 with these negative temps outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.