1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Can I salvage this chain?

Post in 'The Gear' started by spur0701, Oct 28, 2013.

1. spur0701

spur0701 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Was bucking up a big downed oak for a friend yesterday, had a brand new chain on my 24" 6401, I mean a brand spanking new never touched a piece of wood chain. When I started the third cut the chain just wasn't cutting, I looked back at the second cut on the other side of the log and there's a small pile of ceramic tile fragments and I can see where I hit. I tried to touch it up with a file but it wasn't having it. Is there any hope for salvaging this chain? Should I aggressively file down the rakers?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    don't try to "touch it up" just sharpen it, and it'll be fine.
    Boog and Bigg_Redd like this.
  3. jrems

jrems New Member

Loc:
    Danbury CT
    Get it sharpened properly and it should be fine. They might have to take more off during the sharpening then normal, but you should be ok.
    Boog likes this.
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I file all my chains with a file and guide. If I seriously "rock" a chain, I take it to the saw shop for a machine grinding to get it back to where it should be.
    Boog likes this.
  5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Yes. File rakers as needed.
    Boog likes this.
  6. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    You really should not have any problem sharpening that chain whether by hand filing, or by having a shop grind it to restore the proper angles/surfaces. DO NOT AGGRESSIVELY file down the rakers, just file them like Bigg_Red says ............ AS NEEDED (depending on how much tooth has to be taken off to fix the chain).
  7. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    Take a close look at the cutters. you should be able to see or feel the damage you did. You may need to compare it to a new chain. Don't file any more than you have to and be consistent.