Can I trust these moisture reading levels?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
I envy my trips too. I'm married and work too much now. I'm going to do another trip within the next decade though...

Got any pics of your Sportster?
As promised: (it should click up)

Can I trust these moisture reading levels?

This is not a bike I'd go x-country on (certainly not more than once lol) but it is lowered (stock Sportsters are too high IMO), more comfortable handle bars & grips, super comfy two-up seat, panniers, windshield, etc. and as fast as I want it. I considered making it into a 1200 but I don't need that. I tried one once and it was almost scary fast. Sportsters are light and quick enough as is. For me anyway.

Watch yourself if you ride one of those BMW RT or RS models. You may never go home.

Reactions: max384
Now that I know what I'm doing, it would appear this meter is plenty accurate. My freshly split red and white oak (from a dump pile for unknown duration of time) are reading around 30% or so. Freshly split red pine from same dump are reading around 25%. The dry stuff is reading in the mid-teens.

Yup. That's what I would expect. Sounds like you have been doing your homework. Go for around 20% with whatever your are burning and you'll be fine. You will want to have a supply to burn before the oak gets there. That's why so many of us here advocate the "three year plan" if you have the space.

Good luck. SSU.

This winter will be the first year with my woodstove, so I'm not sure what my usage will be. My propane furnace will be my main house heat. The woodstove will be for my 1000 sqft finished basement. I have one cord of seasoned wood (as per the meter showing <20%) and two cords of mainly oak seasoning. If my wood usage is a cord a year I'm good to go. Otherwise, I'll need to figure out storage for more wood.

This winter will be the first year with my woodstove, so I'm not sure what my usage will be. My propane furnace will be my main house heat. The woodstove will be for my 1000 sqft finished basement. I have one cord of seasoned wood (as per the meter showing <20%) and two cords of mainly oak seasoning. If my wood usage is a cord a year I'm good to go. Otherwise, I'll need to figure out storage for more wood.
So tell us a bit more about the house - size, stories,etc. If the basement is only 1000 sf, that shouldn't be a challenge, but Is the basement insulated? Concrete walls under grade can suck a lot of heat out. Also, what is your winter climate like?

Did you mention the stove model? An epa efficient stove can make a big difference. Freestanding or insert?

So many factors to consider.

With a limited space to heat if it's insulated, one cord may do it depending on the stove model and how many hours/day you burn. I burn 2.5 - 3 cords and that seems to be pretty typical, but most are trying to heat the whole house.

Is there any particular reason not to install a stove on the main floor to try to heat the whole house? Propane is so expensive

If you are preparing for next winter, you can find faster drying wood that will be ready if cut split stacked now

So tell us a bit more about the house - size, stories,etc. If the basement is only 1000 sf, that shouldn't be a challenge, but Is the basement insulated? Concrete walls under grade can suck a lot of heat out. Also, what is your winter climate like?

Did you mention the stove model? An epa efficient stove can make a big difference. Freestanding or insert?

So many factors to consider.

With a limited space to heat if it's insulated, one cord may do it depending on the stove model and how many hours/day you burn. I burn 2.5 - 3 cords and that seems to be pretty typical, but most are trying to heat the whole house.

Is there any particular reason not to install a stove on the main floor to try to heat the whole house? Propane is so expensive

If you are preparing for next winter, you can find faster drying wood that will be ready if cut split stacked now

My home is a one story ranch with full basement. The main house is 2000 sqft. Unfinished basement is 1000 sqft and finished basement is 1000 sqft. The unfinished part of the basement is underground. The finished portion is mostly above ground (built into small hill). I'm only planning on heading the finished portion. The finished portion is insulated. The unfinished portion is uninsulated. The unfinished part can stay a bit cooler since it's only for storage.

The woodstove will go by the downstairs bar and tv room for both heat and ambience. The reason we're not putting one upstairs for the whole house is because there is nowhere to put the woodstove and, especially, the chimney upstairs. We're also going to be selling this house in about four to five years, with plans to build our next one, which will feature a large woodstove for a bulk of our home's heating, plus a backup in case we aren't home to keep our woodstove burning.

Basically, for this house, the woodstove isn't there to save us money, but more for the ambience around our living area in the basement.

The wood stove is an entry level EPA stove, the Vogelszang Defender. It's rated for 1200 sqft.

I live in northeast PA at an elevation of about 1800 ft. The winters are cold, but not brutally so like the northern Midwest. It is USDA hardiness zone 5b, with annual extreme lows around -10 to -15 F.

Okay, I don't feel qualified to comment on the stove (do you already have it?) nor your climate situation. My gut feeling is that a 1.3 cf stove may be a bit undersized for that daylight basement especially in the coldest days but I guess your insulation would be the big factor. I did notice that the stove doesn't have an outside air intake for combustion air, but that may not be a big deal depending on the house. You may have to crack a window open a little if it's a tight house. If not, its probably not a problem unless you start to feel a draft in the room. Normallly, we highly encourage an "outside air kit" though. The stove has to bring in combustion air from somewhere. Personally, I'd hate to be sucking in -15F air into the house. In a tight house, it can induce a negative pressure situation affecting draft. But every house is different.and you may not notice it.

I'll leave it for others now with more experience with various installation issues. I like the idea of a cozy basement rec room. Sounds like it will be nice.

Last edited:
Glad you got the moisture meter readings sorted out. Speaking of the BMW ... my big Sis had one https://www.facebook.com/notes/country-rode-motowerks/awesome-girls-trip/10150103446819356
She also had the 1200 mile trip out to see me on that bike. Unfortunately, the R1200GS is no more ... she was hit by a car that was turning into a shopping plaza. Figure the opposing heads saved her legs, ribs weren't so lucky and no road rash as she always wears leathers. Two months later she doubled with her Hubby on his. She's got her own again but not sure what she ended up getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.