Can I use a pellet stove insert without a fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTM

Dec 30, 2012
Hi.

I have a fireplace in my living room. My family room is on the other side of that room, such that the chimney brick is exposed in that room.

What I'd like to do is purchase a pellet stove insert and use it in my family room. Rather than a freestanding unit, I like to place the insert against my chimney, and enclose it with a mantle so that it looks like a regular fireplace.

Is this possible?

I guess I could always use the pellet stove insert in my living room in the actual fireplace, but I'd much prefer to have it in my family room. Or I just could buy the freestanding unit for my family room.

Thanks in advance.

Look for kits that have a 'zero clearance' install frame. I think that should be what you are trying to do, maybe? I will say, though, it's going to be a PITA to clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.