Can I use castable refractory cement to repair a metal part?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

puddelilly

Mar 6, 2021
maine
I have a Waterford Erin (e) woodstove from 1988. The inside back plate has burned through and there is a significant hole in it now. Unfortunately the company doesn't make replacement parts for stoves this old, so I either have to repair it or get a whole new stove. I really love the stove, so I'd rather keep it.

If I was to take castable refractory cement and cover that back plate would it still work properly and be safe? Right now it occasionally smokes out the back of the stove just a little, so I am a little concerned about fumes. If I can use castable, is there a tried and true method to make it stick?
Thank you!!

Can I use castable refractory cement to repair a metal part?

I have a Waterford Erin (e) woodstove from 1988. The inside back plate has burned through and there is a significant hole in it now. Unfortunately the company doesn't make replacement parts for stoves this old, so I either have to repair it or get a whole new stove. I really love the stove, so I'd rather keep it.

If I was to take castable refractory cement and cover that back plate would it still work properly and be safe? Right now it occasionally smokes out the back of the stove just a little, so I am a little concerned about fumes. If I can use castable, is there a tried and true method to make it stick?
Thank you!!

View attachment 275905
No it won't work

Reactions: Highbeam