Can I use Hardiebacker 500 in my hearth project ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernienomoreoil

Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2010
Poconos, PA
Hello friends,

I am building a hearth for my NC 30 and I was wandering if I can use 2 Hardiebacker 500 1/2 inch boards on top of metal studs, I originally was going to use durock but they only have the next gen brand around me.

Is the Hardibacker board good....

I used it for my hearth and it works very well, I am not sure if its fire rated though, I didnt need an R value for my hearth only ember protection so I was not concerned with that aspect. But if you require r value you should do some research on this. As far as the board itself it is easy to use in my opinion but you must use a dust or respirator mask while cutting it if you use a masonry blade, makes a lot of dust. It has no structural strength, it is only for a bonding surface for ceramic tile and such. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.