Can I use Heat fueled fans in my old fireplace vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Angel911

Dec 16, 2023
Holly MI
We renovated a 1940 Tudor home with a gorgeous fireplace that had been hidden behind an old brass fireplace cover which you can see the soot build up in one of the photos. Fast forward, after finishing the renovation, we would like to add gas logs and wondered if we could add heat activated fans into the vent spaces on bottom of fireplace. It had electric fans there originally that were inoperable. If possible, what fans would you recommend?
1000019626.jpg
IMG_20200518_133246.jpg IMG_20191208_120057.jpg

You could try whatever fits in the heatilator opening behind the cover, & the ones used in computer applications are built for heat removal, so maybe they’d work. I think I’d try setting a small fan, outside of the lower opening & blowing into the heatilator, to see if you get an appreciable amount of warm air from the upper one while your gas logs are in use.

I put computer case fans inside the lower vents of my heatilator fireplace many years ago. They are mounted in wood blocks that are glued in, with a hole drilled for the fan. They increase the airflow significantly. The ones I used are a a bit louder than I would like, and I am thinking of replacing them. You can get fans that are super-quite now (Noctua). of course you have to hide the wires. I hooked mine up to a wall-wart transformer with switchable output for different voltages so I can adjust the fan speed.

If it spilled smoke before, it may have a draft issue that will cause it to spill in the future. Get Ventless logs, and not decorative gas logs. Even if you prefer to burn with the damper open, smoke spillage will be free of carbon monoxide and black soot.

Replacement fans for that fireplace are available. I doubt a heat-activated switch will work. Fans only increase the efficiency by a small amount. Natural convection will still produce a steady air flow.

We renovated a 1940 Tudor home with a gorgeous fireplace that had been hidden behind an old brass fireplace cover which you can see the soot build up in one of the photos. Fast forward, after finishing the renovation, we would like to add gas logs and wondered if we could add heat activated fans into the vent spaces on bottom of fireplace. It had electric fans there originally that were inoperable. If possible, what fans would you recommend?
View attachment 320779 View attachment 320780 View attachment 320781
I you want heat dont go with a log set!
A fireplace INSERT is what you need.