Can I use kaowool for a pot holder on the top of the stove, so my pot won't scratch the surface?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsie8

Hearth Supporter
I am worried about the enamel scratching, and all the trivets are rough enough to scratch, so can I cut out either little circles to place under feet of trivet, so pot will still get hot?

KaoWool is a product which is widely known to cause Cancer because of the fine particles (known as "shot") it emits. I can't think of a enamel finish worth that risk to me or my family. Try a softer pan, or cook in the kitchen.

My $0.02.

We always keep a pot of water on top of the stove. The Jotul enamel didn't show a scratch after 2 years. Now if you are going to be popping popcorn and moving the pot back and forth, that's a separate issue. Somehow I don't think you'll be doing that on the shallow top shelf on the Hampton. Better to use the microwave for that purpose.

woodsie8 said:
Oh my gosh, I had no idea! So, if I put it in my chimney around the insert, is there a health hazard?

Probably not unless you are making a deliberate effort to inhale the dust at high concentrations for extended periods of time. Kaowool is commonly used in applications like forges, kilns, etc. by industry and hobbyists. I am not a doctor, but I suspect you'd have to have an extremely large amount of exposure to the dust for many years to have a problem. I've used it to provide extra barrier around my chimney install and in a hobby forge. It can withstand a tremendous amount of heat without any damage (2300 degrees). It also is an excellent heat shield. In my unprofessional opinion, it is very unlikely it poses a health hazard for you in your installation. The smoke from your woodstove probably presents a larger carcinogen danger in all likelihood (and that's small too).

From the MSDS for Kaowool data sheet from the manufacturer:

http://www.thermalceramics.com/literature/201.pdf

Epidemiological studies that include most people who have ever worked in domestic RCF production have indicated no
increased incidence of respiratory disease or other significant health effects in occupationally exposed workers. In
animal studies, long-term, high-dose inhalation exposure resulted in the development of respiratory disease in rats and
hamsters.

The University of Cincinnati is conducting an ongoing epidemiologic investigation. The evidence obtained from
employees in U. S. RCF manufacturing facilities is as follows:
1) There is no evidence of any fibrotic lung disease (interstitial fibrosis) from evaluations of chest X-rays.
2) There is no evidence of an elevated incidence of lung disease among RCF manufacturing employees.
3) In early studies an apparent statistical “trend” within the exposed population was observed between RCF exposure
duration and some measures of lung function. The observations were clinically insignificant. If these observations were
made on an individual employee, the results would be interpreted as being within the normal (predicted) respiratory
range. A more recent longitudinal study of employees with 5 or more pulmonary function tests refutes the earlier
observations, finding no effect on lung function associated with RCF production experience. Initial data (circa 1987)
seemed to indicate an interactive effect between smoking and RCF exposure; more recent data, however, found no
interactive effect. Nevertheless, to promote good health, RCF employees are still actively encouraged not to smoke.
4) Pleural plaques (thickening along the chest wall) have been observed in a small number of RCF employees. Some
studies appear to show a relationship between the occurrence of pleural plaques on chest radiographs and the following
variables: (a) years since RCF production hire date; (b) duration of RCF production employment; and (c) cumulative
RCF exposure. The best evidence to date indicates that pleural plaques are a marker of exposure only. Pleural
plaques are not associated with pulmonary impairment. The pathogenesis of pleural plaques remains incompletely
understood; however, the mechanism appears to be an inflammatory response caused by inhaled fibers.

BTW. There is a good chance your wood stove, if it is modern, has ceramic blankets/boards (most likely Kaowool brand) all through it already. My old VC Defiant had ceramic fiber boards all around the catalytic converter and my new Hearthstone Mansfield has a thick ceramic wool blanket (looks like Kaowool) above the secondary tubes in the firebox.

Because Kaowool is such a great insulator, it would probably make a very poor trivet for your stove. You could modify a trivet by putting small pieces of fiberglass gasket material on the bottom of it secured with gasket cement. This can take the heat of your stove and let the trivet still do its work.

Would it be possible to glue some power transister insulator material to the trivet feet ?

I tell people to use the glass gasket, the one with the sticky back. Cut a couple strips of that and put on the bottom of the trivet. It raises the steamer or kettle up just enough not to touch and scratch the surface of the stove.

Good tip Stoveguy!

Status
Not open for further replies.