can I wipe the cast heat exchanger covers with a damp paper towel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Hearth Supporter
Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I Have a Harman accentra insert. Can I wipe the cast heat exchanger covers with a damp paper towel. I don't want to cause excess rust, but even after I brush them with a paint brush, then blow them off with my air comp. they still look white. At the and of the season I was considering painting all of the internal cast iron heat exchanger covers. Is this ok?

I guess you would be ok if they were cool, and you intended to start the stove right up, but I wouldnt dampen them if they were just going to be cleaned and then allowed to sit for a time.....it will rust almost immediately......igf you HAVE to, light the stove immediately after installing

On my P68, I had the same issue with my heat exchangers. Last big cleaning I used Chore Boy Ultimate Scrubber. It's made of copper and advertised to not splinter (it didn't). I figure Harman gives you that metal tool to scrape the heat exchanger, so why would this be bad? It's pretty gentle and got them cleaner than they have been since I bought the stove.

Cleaning with a damp cloth is fine.
I would not recommend painting things that get real hot. IT'S GONNA SMELL BAD WHEN YOU FIRE IT UP AGAIN

I use the vacuum with a fine brush to go over all the parts of the stove every so often to remove the dust that collects.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.