Can it be done?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rubantin

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2007
We would like to install the stove in this room. However, it doesn't look like there's enough clearance between the chimney and the wall. Any suggestions?

Can it be done?

Double wall stove pipe can be installed 6 inches from combustibles. You'll probably run out of clearance at the corners/sides of the stove long before running out of pipe clearance in that location.

What model stove and are there built-in or available rear and side heat shields?

I see no reason that stove couldn’t be installed there. Looks to be into the walkway a bit though.

You could probably make that work but as soon as I saw that picture, all I could see was smacking into it or the pad underneath it in the middle of the night. It would probably be well into the room even after clearances were met.

We would like to install the stove in this room. However, it doesn't look like there's enough clearance between the chimney and the wall. Any suggestions?

View attachment 307153
I assume the bump out behind the stove is the chimney you want to use correct? What type of liner is in the chimney? You are correct you won't have room for proper clearances if you go into either face of that chimney but you can go into the corner.

I assume the bump out behind the stove is the chimney you want to use correct? What type of liner is in the chimney? You are correct you won't have room for proper clearances if you go into either face of that chimney but you can go into the corner.
It is a cinder block chimney with a clay liner.. Is it possible to go into the corner?

It is a cinder block chimney with a clay liner.. Is it possible to go into the corner?
Yes but a block chimney with clay liners needs 2"clearance to combustibles. You clearly don't have that so you will need an insulated stainless liner

So, I will need a liner... The only thing in the chimney will be this stove. If I put the hole/thimble/tee a couple feet from the ceiling, it will be 20' to the top of the chimney. How many feet below the thimble/hole/tee do I have to extend the liner?

So, I will need a liner... The only thing in the chimney will be this stove. If I put the hole/thimble/tee a couple feet from the ceiling, it will be 20' to the top of the chimney. How many feet below the thimble/hole/tee do I have to extend the liner?
I would put a cleanout in atleast a little below the thimble

The bottom of the chimney has a cleanout
And that would be great to use but it would mean allot more liner to run down to it

And that would be great to use but it would mean allot more liner to run down to it
ok, so, I need to terminate the liner at the bottom instead of just leaving it open? Can't I just run it down a couple feet from the thimble and leave it open?

ok, so, I need to terminate the liner at the bottom instead of just leaving it open? Can't I just run it down a couple feet from the thimble and leave it open?
Nope it needs to be sealed off at the bottom

So, basically I can go down another 8 feet to the basement thimble and put in another tee? That would be the cleanout?

So, basically I can go down another 8 feet to the basement thimble and put in another tee? That would be the cleanout?
Correct that's what I would do