Can propane furnace/hot water and wood furnace share 7x11 masonry flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughable Moments

Oct 26, 2014
Western New York
I want to add a Kuuma wood furnace in our basement to our existing 20x20 masonry chimney with a 7x11 inside dimension clay liner. I thought I would install a 6"stainless liner for the wood furnace and let the propane furnace (4" flue) and the propane hot water heater (3" flue) use the rest of the chimney around the 6" liner. Should I install a 5" stainless liner for the propane pair? All are located in the basement and chimney is over 35' tall from the basement through the center of the house (2 story with walk-up attic). We are in a windy location. Previous owner had a wood stove tapped into the chimney on the first floor and all three shared the same flue. I plan to cap off the first floor inlet to the chimney. Thanks for any help you can offer. -Dan

You need 2 separate liners and good luck fitting a 6 and a 5 in there With out breaking out the tiles

I di not believe this is acceptable but could be wrong. Think you are not allowed to share a flue with a wood stove with anything else

with 2 liners it would be fine but just venting into the space around the wood liner will not give you good results

I would say no unless each liner from each appliance were extended out the top of the existing chimney, remember the liner for the woodstove will be supported by a top plate which is generally not vented, if so there would be no escape for the gas exhaust out the top of the flue surrounding the flue liner.

The 2 gas units can share a liner so you only need 2 but i would guess that you are right you will probably need a 5" for the gas units unless you install a priority switch.

I would check whether the propane appliances can be direct-vented out of the basement and reserve the chimney for the wood furnace. However, in the end your local building code inspector will determine what is acceptable. I would direct that question to him/her.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I couldn't get a six inch liner down my 7X11 ID tile lined flue by itself. Can't see one of them and something else in there. No way, no how.

Thanks for the speedy replies! I've looked down the flue and the clay tiles are not perfectly aligned. So, a power vent on the propane pair might be the better option. Are power vents brand specific?

Thanks for the speedy replies! I've looked down the flue and the clay tiles are not perfectly aligned. So, a power vent on the propane pair might be the better option. Are power vents brand specific?

I dunno, DAKSY is the guy i'd expect to know the specifics on, he's probably forgot more about gas systems than I've learned , you might start a thread in the gas room for that info. I suspect that room will get you more info faster on that side of you're dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.