Can "stove black" paint go bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
Our Fireview's castings need some "freshening up". We have a can of stove black paint that I used the last time I did it. It's been stored in the basement, never frozen, and I gave it good shake and stirred it thoroughly. No sediment. Is there a "shelf life" to this stuff? saw no indication on the label...

Clogged tips are about the only issue i have had with using older paint. I dont have a date for you, but a few years should not be bad.

If it sprays and dont fish eye as soon as it hits the stove, then it should be good. just used some paint that was about 8 years old after my pre-season full clean. repainted the single wall above the stove. seemed to work fine.

"Stirred it thoroughly" and "No sediment" leads me to believe the OP has brush on stove paint. It should still be fine.

Guess what I'll be doing this week end!

The stove pipe that connects the stove to the flue is looking sort of "aged", too (still solid, but the finish is looking "rusty"). We live near the ocean and it's humid here, can I use the stove black on that, too? There is nothing about that on the back of the can of stove black.

Righty-o!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.