Can you convert a stove to a insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken3698

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2008
Western NY
I'm curious if you can convert a free standing stove to fit in my zero clearance fireplace? I see many nice cheaper stoves that look nice, all I would need to do is take the legs off, slide it into my fireplace opening and then build some flashing around it.. I see the only problem would be loading the fuel on top.

Is this OK to do?

ken3698 said:
I'm curious if you can convert a free standing stove to fit in my zero clearance fireplace? I see many nice cheaper stoves that look nice, all I would need to do is take the legs off, slide it into my fireplace opening and then build some flashing around it.. I see the only problem would be loading the fuel on top.

Is this OK to do?

There is more involved than that. Are you talking a manufactured fireplace such as a modular home or a masonary?

We have done freestanding stove in front of masonry fireplaces and manufactured fireplaces using the existing chimney. We have also put freestanding stoves inside fireplaces and used the existing masonry chimney. We have also drilled through existing masonry chimneys and vented that way.

Eric

Not meaning to highjack the thread...
But I've wondered about running a pellet stove through an unlined masonry chimney...temps are much lower, seems like it would work fine?

Jim

Lobstah said:
Not meaning to highjack the thread...
But I've wondered about running a pellet stove through an unlined masonry chimney...temps are much lower, seems like it would work fine?

Jim

Seen it done with 5' and 7' vertical double wall pipe and 5' flex pieces. It vented fine.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.