Can I seal these upper and lower vents if I convert to gas insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 20, 2024
Arizona
Hi all, I have a late 1950's fireplace that was the original heat source for the small home that was later added onto and now has central heat. There is a gas hookup inside the fireplace so we are going to have a gas insert put in and I'm trying to figure out if we can close up these vertical brick vents at the floor and above the firebox? If we can we would likely be looking for reclaimed bricks to try and match the old ones. I'm seeing conflicting information so I just want to be sure.

Thanks!
IMG_8737.jpg

Hi all, I have a late 1950's fireplace that was the original heat source for the small home that was later added onto and now has central heat. There is a gas hookup inside the fireplace so we are going to have a gas insert put in and I'm trying to figure out if we can close up these vertical brick vents at the floor and above the firebox? If we can we would likely be looking for reclaimed bricks to try and match the old ones. I'm seeing conflicting information so I just want to be sure.

Thanks!
View attachment 326906
Nope. They need to stay open so you don't trap heat

Is this a metal heatform style fireplace or a zero clearance unit?

That's interesting, I saw you mention in another thread I found on google that someone could close theirs if they didnt have a zero clearance box and were converting to gas so I wonder what the difference is?
I was mistaken in that thread since then I have run into several problems caused by covering vents on heat forms

Oh shoot what kinds of problems?

I’ve been looking at this diagram and im just so confused as to why the heat wouldn’t continue up the chimney?

View attachment 326914
Are you talking about an actual insert or gas logs. The heat coming from those vents is completely different than the heat going out the chimney.

I have had 2 that had odd smells and smoke because the heat was redirected into areas that couldn't handle it because it had nowhere else to go

Are you talking about an actual insert or gas logs. The heat coming from those vents is completely different than the heat going out the chimney.

I have had 2 that had odd smells and smoke because the heat was redirected into areas that couldn't handle it because it had nowhere else to go
It would be whatever might make it possible to seal the vents.

It would be whatever might make it possible to seal the vents.
An insert would probably pose very little risk. But you would need to make sure you very clearly label it as modified and no longer is usable as an open fireplace