Can you ever have too much in the stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid, I would collect and split wood along with my father, grandfather, grandfather's BIL, and great-grandfather. Great-grandpop was 95, still keeping his fireplace going nearly 24/7 and living independently on 7 acres, when he broke a hip and passed within the year. Seemed like a good life to me. Unfortunately, dad and grandpop also died within 5 years of that... not so lucky. All of them left behind wood stacks! ;)
A life lived well is when your dry firewood outlasts you.
My pop died with half a ton of coal still in the hopper.

And then the probate judge uses the price of the little bundles at the supermarket to value the stacks and the estate taxes sink them.

And then the probate judge uses the price of the little bundles at the supermarket to value the stacks and the estate taxes sink them.
Dayum. Valued that way I am a millionaire!
I always knew I would be rich someday.

Never can have too much. I don't have enough and I need to get ahead. My dad is 76 this year and in ten years he'll either have stopped burning wood or need a lot of help from me. I hope it's the latter, but I need to have my own s*** together first.

Dayum. Valued that way I am a millionaire!
I always knew I would be rich someday.
Even if they call you a millionaire the federal estate taxes would be zero, nada. State taxes are another matter. Each state has their own formula.

Unless you and your wood are worth $5.5 million. Not many cords of wood at supermarket bundle prices. ;lol

My goal is to be 3 years ahead. I don't know if that'll ever happen considering I burned 10 cords this year so far (I had some issues with my wood furnace and went through 8 cords before I fixed it. Slight increase in efficiency now for my 40 year old dinosaur.) If I ever get above that, I plan on selling firewood to pay for a new higher efficiency wood furnace.

I want something that is better than like 10% efficiency. :oops:

I had similar problems. If you do manage to get three years ahead, you will find you burn less wood, due to the energy saved in not boiling off water from every load.

Status
Not open for further replies.