Can you help me compare these dutchwest stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
http://vc.cfm-dev.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=321

http://vc.cfm-dev.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=318

I can't quite figure out the clear difference between the "premium steel-cast" and the "value line of steel." The dealer was mostly interested in talking about the cast iron.

Which, just for fun, I would love to discuss also.

http://vc.cfm-dev.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=313

Opinions and experiences encouraged.

Thanks!

I would stay away from Dutchwest and Vermont Casting in general. Especially as a first stove. Far too many horror stories with the stoves. You could get lucky, but you shouldn't have to rely on luck to get your stove to work well.

Ditto!

The first two are decent, cheap steel stoves. One of the moderators, fossil, has one in his shop. They may not be spectacular, but as far as I can tell, not a bad stove. In your neighborhood I would also look at Buck, Drolet, Napoleon and Englander stoves if a bargain steel unit is preferred. My preference would be a Pacific Energy Super 27 in this class, but they may not be sold locally. As for the Dutchwest stoves, the last item is a bit more problematic. So far, it seems the track record for the downdraft stoves has been finicky and expensive for maintenance a few years down the road.

I am leaning towards that Pacific Energy. I'm just still shopping all my options, and I liked the dutchwest prices and I liked the install quote that this shop gave me.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I am leaning towards that Pacific Energy. I'm just still shopping all my options, and I liked the dutchwest prices and I liked the install quote that this shop gave me.

Of all of the stoves you mentioned I think I would lean towards the PE as well . . . I've read too many negative stories about Dutchwest/Vermont Castings in regards to parts failing, costs to replace parts and failure to honor warrantees.

~*~Kathleen~*~ Is that a hemp hat...thought I may have seen you at a Phish concert but I can't quite put my finger on it.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

VC (Vermont castings) really stands for Very Crappy. :) I would know!

firefighterjake said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Of all of the stoves you mentioned I think I would lean towards the PE as well . . . I've read too many negative stories about Dutchwest/Vermont Castings in regards to parts failing, costs to replace parts and failure to honor warrantees.

Off topic but, this made me laugh. Replace parts, warranties, ect.. My stove was patent in 1917, I don't really know how old it is but I sure would like to know.. anyway I'm sure it's older than me and will out last me..

savageactor7 said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ Is that a hemp hat...thought I may have seen you at a Phish concert but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Is that a joke? On the interwebz it's a little hard to discern.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
savageactor7 said:

Is that a joke? On the interwebz it's a little hard to discern.

Not sure. Savage, are you talking about the Oswego shows when they brought the ferris wheel?

There are lots of happy Dutchwest owners on this site. I would do a site search on the particular models you're looking at. There are threads with good and bad experiences, just like any other stoves. Check out this link, lots of info reguarding one of those models and wood burning in general:
http://www.gordosoft.com/woodstove/

Also look up stove ratings on this site. Lots of good info there.

VCBurner said:
There are lots of happy Dutchwest owners on this site. I would do a site search on the particular models you're looking at. There are threads with good and bad experiences, just like any other stoves. Check out this link, lots of info reguarding one of those models and wood burning in general:
http://www.gordosoft.com/woodstove/

Also look up stove ratings on this site. Lots of good info there.

Thank you. I appreciate this and all of the responses. I am truly trying to do as much searching as I can to minimize the redundant questions here. It just gets a bit overwhelming and convoluted. I did check out another stove shop today and looked at Morso and Lennox Country. Which only leads to more questions :)

K, you remind me of, well, me :)

Step it up, you will not be unhappy.

My 2 cents.

Redundant questions are good. I wish I had known to ask them before a couple miserable VC experiences. It is hard to go wrong with a simple steel stove.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

My 2 cents.
gotcha. thanks!

SolarAndWood said:
It is hard to go wrong with a simple steel stove.
Ah, but which one to choose. The devil is in the details. Thanks, though.

With your natural stone fireplace, I would be inclined to go with a steel insert. Lots of good choices there. I would look at the Blaze King Princess before you make your final decision. It has a large firebox, overnight burns are no problem and it will burn nice and low cleanly in the milder temperatures.

Webmaster said:
Strange, but their web site images are not working for me!

Likely, you're using Safari on a Mac... as I am. Just as likely, either Firefox or Camino will handle the images just fine.

Peter B.

-----

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

My 2 cents.
gotcha. thanks!

SolarAndWood said:
It is hard to go wrong with a simple steel stove.
Ah, but which one to choose. The devil is in the details. Thanks, though.

The devil is in the details, and that's where you can make comprises, and still be happy.

The devil of the details is when the devil makes you crazy. Just get the PE, stop spending time fretting over this and feel good that you bought a great stove. Next you get to post in the gear forums and ask about Fiskars!

Yes, buy the PE. If you buy anything else, you'll hear about it from Redd.

S

Franks said:
The devil of the details is when the devil makes you crazy. Just get the PE, stop spending time fretting over this and feel good that you bought a great stove. Next you get to post in the gear forums and ask about Fiskars!

Yes, it certainly could be that simple. The cost of the PE just hurts a bit. I also need new tires and brakes for my truck.

Now off to figure out how much conversation can be trumped up over an axe. It's an axe, right? :lol:

Morso makes a great stove but only their biggest one has a 2 cf firebox and it will be way more expensive than the PE and the smaller ones won't have the burn times to keep you warm at night.

Personally, I think it would be a shame to stick an insert into that beautiful stone fireplace/hearth. I think a freestanding stove in a hearth stove installation is what I'd be looking to do. Dunno the dimensions of the fireplace, maybe it's just too short, so maybe I'm just blowing smoke, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it until I'm convinced that it's a no-go, or you tell us that's not what you're looking for. A nice stove shoved in there with a top exit would be very cool, or a nice stove with a rear exit might work as well. Anything so long as it stands there proudly heating your living space without a surround around it. Nothing against inserts, they're terrific...but this particular fireplace doesn't want one. Just my thoughts. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.