Can you put a wood burning insert into a 2 sided peninsula/corner fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Code writers and manufacturers can't guess at every install circumstance. Nor can UL testers. I wouldn't make a suggestion that I felt was unsafe. Sorry if I am being dense, but exactly what is the safety concern here? Are you worried someone might burn themselves on the side surround? If so that could easily be addressed.

Last edited:
Code writers and manufacturers can't guess at every install circumstance. Nor can UL testers. I wouldn't make a suggestion that I felt was unsafe. Sorry if I am being dense, but exactly what is the safety concern here? Are you worried someone might burn themselves on the side surround? If so that could easily be addressed.
it is more about the fact that it is not to code and will void the ul listing of both units meaning that if something goes wrong the insurance claim will very lickly be denied. That and all of the normal safety concerns of putting a heavy insert in a box that was never meant to hold ect. There is just no way at all that you can say that it meets any code manufacturers instructions or ul listing. Maybe i am wrong if you can find somewhere telling you how to do it and how it was tested i will be ok with it but i am 99% sure that does not exist.

I don't see how this would void the UL rating. Can you prove that? The insert is not being altered. If it passed inspection the insurance company is going to be fine. I would run the plan by the inspecting authority and if they approve, go for it.

Question, have you ever insulated behind or around an insert?

Last edited:
well i cant find the instructions for that fireplace but i can almost guarantee that it says you cant use component that are not designed for it. That would void the listing on the fireplace. And if anyone has a link to the manual i can prove that i am sure. And we don't have a model of insert so there is no way i can say for sure that it would void the listing on the insert but i am all but positive there are none that say this type of install is ok and i doubt that any manufacturer would ok it. if i am wrong post a link to a code listing or manufacturers instructions saying it is ok. I would like to point out that there are numerous times you have told people there is no way they should use an insert if it is not in a fire box why is it ok now and not then?

Masonary fire places don't have a UL rating, and some of these inserts show instructions on how to install it in a masonary fire place?

I am having a sweep inspect the firebox and chimney. I might just buy new doors for it and replace the mantel. I looked at replacing it, but got only one quote which was $10k. Trying to get someone else was impossible and frustrating, I gave up and redid my kitchen instead. I did my kitchen all by myself with the exception of having my neighbor do the drywall seams and home depot do the granite counter tops.

Masonary fire places don't have a UL rating, and some of these inserts show instructions on how to install it in a masonary fire place?
Masonry fireplaces are not products that are manufactured and installed and there fore do not need a ul listing. They simply need to be built to code. And all inserts are many for traditional fireplaces only some have instructions to be installed into prefab fireplaces while only a couple prefab fireplaces allow for inserts to be installed in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.