Can you recommend a Small, WIDE woodstove for a small space, please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty09

Sep 5, 2010
Boston. MA
I have a brick fireplace in my basement family room that is never used. It has its own flue and is lined. This winter I plan to install a free-standing wood stove on the hearth which is 36" deep, back to front. I need to find a stove that is much wider than it is tall since my available Height is 27.5", while Width is 37".
The family room is small, approx 400 SF with low ceilings (7'). I am also hoping that via use of fans + convection I can benefit from warm air circulating to upper floor. Would greatly apreciate your recommendations, and if you live in the Boston area like me, advice on good local dealers in Eastern Mass--thanks!

Well, the first thing that springs to mind is the BK Briarwood Insert. It has sort of a panoramic look to it and the shroud should take up the rest of the space. I'm sure some other folks will have some other suggestions soon.

http://www.blazeking.com/Brochures-En/WoodProductPDF/BriarwoodWoodStove.pdf - Link to the brochure.

Welcome to the hearth!

Edit: I skimmed right over the "freestanding stove" part. Are you looking at inserts too, or just freestanding units?

The only free standing stoves you are going to find that may come close to having a rear exit flue that low are going to be cast iron. So your low cost goes out the window right there. Time to look at inserts.

thanks Blaze King, but I am only looking at free standing stoves right now, as much for cost as anything else

It comes in freestanding and insert, the freestander is wide.

If you start looking at freestanding cast iron, be sure to ask about the availability of a short-leg kit to reduce the overall height. Some models from some manufacturers have this option, and it usually takes a couple of inches off the total height.

Status
Not open for further replies.