Can you split stumps with 28ton hydraulic log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avninja

Feb 24, 2014
Wisconsin
Hi folks. My landscaper has some stumps to get rid of and he mentioned that he has used a typical towable hydraulic splitter before and split stumps in the veritcal position to smaller more quickly burnable pieces. Otherwise the stumps burn forever or don't burn good enough.

What do you think about this? I know log splitters are supposed to split with the grain, putting less stress on the splitter. But can this be done? Does he risk premature wear on the cylinder, pump, engine etc?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I will differ to the experts, but as a novice in the Hydraulic Splitting world I think this sounds crazy...

I don't know about stumps, but 1988 20 ton....

big oak rounds.JPG

Its all relative to the size of the stump and splitter. In general its not going to work.

Usual is to cut them off even with the ground and then grind down things with a stump grinder.

Usual is to cut them off even with the ground and then grind down things with a stump grinder.
Correct. Which always leaves the homeowner with a "temporary" fix. In a few years there will be an annoying "sinkhole" forming in the lawn.

As the stump (under the soil) and the roots start to rot, the ground sinks.

Good ole backhoe is always best IMHO. Get that stump OUT completely.

Hi folks. My landscaper has some stumps to get rid of and he mentioned that he has used a typical towable hydraulic splitter before and split stumps in the veritcal position to smaller more quickly burnable pieces. Otherwise the stumps burn forever or don't burn good enough.

What do you think about this? I know log splitters are supposed to split with the grain, putting less stress on the splitter. But can this be done? Does he risk premature wear on the cylinder, pump, engine etc?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum avninja.

No good reason to not split them! We have the same splitter as BrotherBart and it is over 20 years old and only a 20 ton. It does very well. But if the stumps have the roots, those roots might get in the way. If so, just cut them off and have at it.

As for splitting vertically, that is the way to go with all splitting. ;)

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Im not sure I even understand what he says he does. Splits the stump while its in the ground?

An Artist at a winery on the east end of Long island rips out Stumps, washes off the root system, flips them upside down, and plants them Root side up in the air....Looks Amazing.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
An Artist at a winery on the east end of Long island rips out Stumps, washes off the root system, flips them upside down, and plants them Root side up in the air....Looks Amazing.....
How does it reroot?

Last edited:
Can you imagine how long a huge stump with roots would take to season?

Post the video after it's done. :eek:

Been a long winter, could use a laugh.

I don't know about stumps, but 1988 20 ton....
And it's younger cousin routinely splits 24" diameter hardwoods. I've done stuff as big as 40" diameter on this little splitter, before I decided it was easier to just noodle the big'uns where the lay.

IMG_0473.jpg IMG_0151.jpg IMG_0149.jpg

Can you imagine how long a huge stump with roots would take to season?

Try never. This big red oak had been blown over for years. When I cut into it the water poured out of it for three days. Just two roots in the root ball still connected in the ground. The pic doesn't do it justice. The water was dripping out of it onto the ground the whole time. When the pic was taken it was pouring out.

red oak water one.JPG

if you spend enough time gnawing away at it, it can be broken up in to smaller pieces. It can't be good for the splitter stalling it in wood like that. I wouldn't do a lot of it with my splitter.

i use a 28 ton splitter. I cut stumps off as close to the ground as poss,,,and have no problem splitting the wood.

My neighbor has a splitter on a skid steer that is upside down,,,the ram and wedge on the bottom of the I beam. He drives up to the round,, no matter how big it is, and lowers the splitter on it,, and crunch! He never gets out of the seat. No lifting anything until it is split.

I'll ask if he ever did a stump sideways without cutting it off. It has the power! The other end would be ugly with the roots attached. The more I think about it,, i want to see it done!

Last edited:
It can't be good for the splitter stalling it in wood like that. I wouldn't do a lot of it with my splitter.
it should not hurt it. That is what relief valves are for. Gets to the preset pressure,,,valve opens,,,fluid bypasses back to the tank. In fact, these valves are the cause of weak splitters sometimes,,opening at too low of a pressure.

Thanks for the replies. He has the gnarly rooted portions of the stump that he ripped out with a skid steer. I have some acreage so I let him store some stuff as long as he promises to get rid of it. I did a burn of some of my brush in the fall and pushed the stumps into the fire. Of course, by the time the fire was out I was left with charred stumps practically the same size as when I started. He assures me that after this wisconsin snow melts, he will come over with a splitter and split those stumps and burn them with some extra brush he and I have. So basically he and I are just happy to get rid of the stumps by burning them with the brush. We are not trying to turn them into firewood. I am hoping this works as I don't want the stumps to become "my problem". But I benefit from the arrangement because he burns any excess brush I have and I get firewood from his jobs at no cost..

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I burn stumps also in my brush piles. Have patience, they will burn! I wait until I have a good size pile to light it. Once you get a big hot fire going,,,everything and anything will burn. Get as much dirt off as you can first. The roots encased in dirt will burn, but it takes a couple days. Dirt pack is like an epa stove,,,smolder a loooong time.

I have thrown branches on the ash pile of a big burn 6-7 days later,,and they flame up,, so be careful!

When we cleared for my new house we did not have time to save anything for later,,so we would get a hot fire going and push trees into the fire that had been uprooted only minutes before with the "big digger".

Put your stumps on the bottom of the pile. Then all the coals from the branches will bury the stump in coals,,,,it'll burn.

Thanks for the replies. He has the gnarly rooted portions of the stump that he ripped out with a skid steer. I have some acreage so I let him store some stuff as long as he promises to get rid of it. I did a burn of some of my brush in the fall and pushed the stumps into the fire. Of course, by the time the fire was out I was left with charred stumps practically the same size as when I started. He assures me that after this wisconsin snow melts, he will come over with a splitter and split those stumps and burn them with some extra brush he and I have. So basically he and I are just happy to get rid of the stumps by burning them with the brush. We are not trying to turn them into firewood. I am hoping this works as I don't want the stumps to become "my problem". But I benefit from the arrangement because he burns any excess brush I have and I get firewood from his jobs at no cost..

I'm sure there are some stumps he can split. Its all about the size and shape.

it should not hurt it. That is what relief valves are for. Gets to the preset pressure,,,valve opens,,,fluid bypasses back to the tank. In fact, these valves are the cause of weak splitters sometimes,,opening at too low of a pressure.
True... assuming everything is properly engineered. Unfortunately, most of these splitters are designed by garage-shop mechanics, without real mechanical engineering degrees, or any education in finite element analysis. I've seen a few broken and twisted wedges, and other splitter components broken during use, which are evidence of improper design analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.