Can you split stumps with 28ton hydraulic log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi backwoods. I was just giving that a try with a few rounds in the 22" - 24" range, based on what I'd seen someone else here do. Anything bigger has to go vertical (my splitter has a 24" max length), and anything much smaller definitely splits easier vertical, as well. However, rounds right in this 22" - 24" range don't split so well vertically, unless they're perfectly straight grained, so you're left trying to rotate the round to split the rest of the way thru, when you go vertically.

The same things happens splitting horizontally, except you can split all the way thru one end, and then use a hatchet or one of those little 2 lb. one-handed splitting mauls for finishing off the job with one or two whacks. It seems to work well, for rounds that are too big or twisted to get full separating in one split, working vertically.

Also, while that's not a huge round, it still weighed over 300 lb. Rolling it up onto the foot of the splitter is definitely easier than tipping it on its side, rolling, and then tipping it back upright while trying to get fully onto the foot of the splitter. That's my story, anyway...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Also, while that's not a huge round, it still weighed over 300 lb. Rolling it up onto the foot of the splitter is definitely easier than tipping it on its side, rolling, and then tipping it back upright while trying to get fully onto the foot of the splitter. That's my story, anyway...

One thing I was taught along the way is to put a piece of pipe on the ground in front of the splitter. You will quickly get good at plopping a round over and having it slide right in up tight against the beam of the splitter. If the ground is at all soft you need to put some scrap pieces of wood down for the pipe to roll on. A pickaroon or pulp hooks help to move the round or halves once it is down on the splitter. A 5' iron pry bar can usually finish off a stubborn split easier than repositioning for a second run with the splitter.

I loved when we could still do that, they sure do jump out of the ground with a nice whump!!!
Yeah, I've been watching alot of hillbilly shows lately, they make it look fun and easy......
Drill hole, insert, lite it up and run.......

we never lit fuses. We always ran wire back to the tractor,,touched the wires to the battery and "boom"

Im sorry I jumped in with my admonitions. I thought the OP was trying to split root balls for firewood.
I spoke too soon.
I couldnt see the practicality in that.

Hi backwoods. I was just giving that a try with a few rounds in the 22" - 24" range, based on what I'd seen someone else here do. Anything bigger has to go vertical (my splitter has a 24" max length), and anything much smaller definitely splits easier vertical, as well. However, rounds right in this 22" - 24" range don't split so well vertically, unless they're perfectly straight grained, so you're left trying to rotate the round to split the rest of the way thru, when you go vertically.

The same things happens splitting horizontally, except you can split all the way thru one end, and then use a hatchet or one of those little 2 lb. one-handed splitting mauls for finishing off the job with one or two whacks. It seems to work well, for rounds that are too big or twisted to get full separating in one split, working vertically.

Joyful, whenever you are wrestling a 300 pound log, it is a huge one!

I burn Hedge stumps on brush piles all the time. Get that brush roaring and that stump will burn.(for days!) Best to use a little accelerant if you dont want to babysit it all night!;)

I forgot to mention, backwoods... when you split sideways like that, the splitter is always going all the way thru the log, cross grain-wise. So, it's easier to grab one half and just pull, to get them fully separated. I'm never able to do the same when I'm splitting with the round set vertically/normally, and it fails to split thru on the first pass.

you can split rounds like that? I've never tried but it looks like it would help, just level the edge of the splitter and roll the log on.
I've put rounds as large as 44" diameter ash on that splitter, and gotten thru 'em. However, it is infinitely easier to just slab the rounds with a big saw, and then move the slabs to the splitter for final sizing. I put the round on its side and go at it with the Stihl 064 AV. Noodle into 4" - 6" thick slabs, which can still weigh over 200 lb. each, but are much easier to move.

Just for some mental scaling, ash runs about 50 lb./cu.ft., and oak 62 lb./cu.ft., both green. I buck to 20" lengths, so the weight of a round is as follows:

rounds.JPG

The 50" oak rounds I brought home last summer were simply immovable, even with my front-end loader. That's when I was forced to start slabbing, and stop trying to move these monsters onto the splitter. I used to hate the idea of stopping my flow to pick up a saw, but it really is much faster and easier.

I have to learn to noodle properly, I tried on a big gnarly trunk, got halfway through and that's was it. I don't know if it was me or the saw.

Holy Guacamole! Joyful, those numbers make me gulp! I guess maybe it's a good thing I'm going to let a pro fell my trees and another pro c/s/s them. (First guy is the arborist I have to employ to get the permit to cut down the trees on my property because the 2nd guy is my Nephew from out-of-state and I'm out-of-state too!). Besides making firewood out of all those oak and other trees, if the one really huge one has to be felled, then I want a 1"2" thick round from it to make a table top for the patio (yes, I know it has to age) and then maybe some smaller ones for stools. Just for fun (do I pre-qualify for a 12-step program yet? :rolleyes: ). The trees will be felled in the next 6 weeks and then c/s/s in mid-April . . . just in time for burning season 2017!

For those of us who have tried ( both successfully and not so successfully ) to split some rather gnarly hardwood crotches there comes a point where the splitter wedge is doing more cutting than splitting.

Having split a stump into smaller pieces with just wedges and an axe once, I can assure you a stump is one giant grnarly knot from hell to split and chop.

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
When I think of stumps, I also think of DYNOMITE......
I had the same thought but in Canada we use dynamite. Big Bang and the stump pops out, pretty messy we haul them to he gravel pit and burn them up with all the scrap. Never thought of cutting them up for stove burning.

Yeah, I've been watching alot of hillbilly shows lately, they make it look fun and easy......
Drill hole, insert, lite it up and run.......
Hillbillies, this is canada we don't have any but a few rednecks eh!!!

I've put rounds as large as 44" diameter ash on that splitter, and gotten thru 'em. However, it is infinitely easier to just slab the rounds with a big saw, and then move the slabs to the splitter for final sizing. I put the round on its side and go at it with the Stihl 064 AV. Noodle into 4" - 6" thick slabs, which can still weigh over 200 lb. each, but are much easier to move.

Just for some mental scaling, ash runs about 50 lb./cu.ft., and oak 62 lb./cu.ft., both green. I buck to 20" lengths, so the weight of a round is as follows:

View attachment 128564

The 50" oak rounds I brought home last summer were simply immovable, even with my front-end loader. That's when I was forced to start slabbing, and stop trying to move these monsters onto the splitter. I used to hate the idea of stopping my flow to pick up a saw, but it really is much faster and easier.

Ahhh, Thats why my back hurts so much!

It seems that all I get is rounds that are 20"- 24" or bigger

Thats why I love the Timber wolf Horizontal splitter with log lifter.
And even more than that is the outfeed table I made.

What's the weight limit on these lifters? Can't imagine doing 1400 lb rounds on one.

What's the weight limit on these lifters? Can't imagine doing 1400 lb rounds on one.

I'm not sure of the capacity of this lifter. I bought it used but I heard or read somewhere it has a 1000 lb cap.

But that's just an insane piece of wood and can't imagine even rolling that thing over let alone being in the way of a 500 lb split coming off the wedge.

But that's just an insane piece of wood and can't imagine even rolling that thing over let alone being in the way of a 500 lb split coming off the wedge.
We lost some big stuff at my church in storm Sandy last year. I never went back to measure the diameter at the stump, where I made the final cut, but it was easily well over 60" diameter. The rounds I brought home were more than 15 feet up the trunk, and they were 49" diameter = 1355 lb. each. Everything below that was hollowed out by rot and carpenter ants, but this was one huge oak. I'll have to remember to take a tape measure with me one Sunday, when the weather is a little better / the ground dry.

IMG_1252.jpg IMG_0456.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.