Can you use rock wool insulation for glowing embers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

j123jam

Jan 4, 2020
Seattle, WA
I've nearly finished a gas fireplace remodel and I want to add some "glowing embers" to my burners around the fake logs. There were some before that remodel but I cleaned them out.

I see plenty of "glowing embers" products on Amazon that appear to be bits of rock wool and sell for around $14 per 6oz bag.

I have some leftover Roxul AFB insulation from the project, which is nothing more than fireproof rock wool. So can I just break up the insulation and use it instead of buying rock wool that's specifically sold for fireplace glowing embers? Since it's fireproof insulation it seems totally reasonable to me, but I can't find anything about it online.