Can you use this to extend a masonry chimney with double wall stainless.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you can transition from masonry to insulated using a masonry adapter. The issue often becomes supporting the pipe....and it does not look so great!

Any chance that my extendaflue (plug) will do the job? Look at the CC88 (I'll give you a heck of a deal - like end of season special).

http://www.extendaflue.com

Webmaster said:
Actually, you can transition from masonry to insulated using a masonry adapter. The issue often becomes supporting the pipe....and it does not look so great!

Any chance that my extendaflue (plug) will do the job? Look at the CC88 (I'll give you a heck of a deal - like end of season special).

http://www.extendaflue.com

What is the max extra height I could get with that? I would consider it, I just worry that with my chimney I may need to go up quite a bit, as i have a one floor chimney, probably only about 12' maybe from the top of the stove. And I have a 90 degree bend. I'd certainly consider using that, can you PM me a price? BTW, since you're in my thread now and reading, awesome website, I've learned more here in a month than I have in 4 yrs of burning wood/talking to people.

Thanks,
Ed

Why wouldn't you extend this chimney using the same construction technique that was used to build it in the first place? It appears to be built of standard cement chimney blocks with a tile liner. That seems like the cheapest option and it will look intentional.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the chimney again.

Attachments

• sped_chimneyl.JPG
    sped_chimneyl.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 513
BeGreen said:
Why wouldn't you extend this chimney using the same construction technique that was used to build it in the first place? It appears to be built of standard cement chimney blocks with a tile liner. That seems like the cheapest option and it will look intentional.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the chimney again.

Well my worries there are:

Being able to support the chimney laterally, it comes out of the roof quite a bit.

Getting the cap block off without trashing anything

And knowing what height to go to, I'm worried that not only the 10-2 rule is working against me but overall height

I'm still up in the air though, and continuing with the construction there is certainly still on the list....

Shove a 3-4 ft. piece of $10 galvanized 6" vent pipe in the top of the flue and try it out temporarily. If it makes a huge difference you'll have your answer.

As to support, is the chimney out of plumb? Best to ask a mason what he thinks. I don't think it will be an issue to go up 2-3', but it's good to get a pro's perspective.

BeGreen said:
Shove a 3-4 ft. piece of $10 galvanized 6" vent pipe in the top of the flue and try it out temporarily. If it makes a huge difference you'll have your answer.

As to support, is the chimney out of plumb? Best to ask a mason what he thinks. I don't think it will be an issue to go up 2-3', but it's good to get a pro's perspective.

Yeah good point on the temp solution, I'll try that, I have the old stove back in for now. The chimney isn't out of plumb, I just wasn't sure if there was a limit to how high it could go without being attached to the structure, maybe I'm worrying about nothing there. My neighbor(the house you can see in the pic) grew up working for his dad who was a mason, so I may ask him to come take a look.

Good plan. And if it gives peace of mind, ask him about strapping the chimney to the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.