Can't beat friends like this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I am so tired of sitting around due to being laid up with a broken ankle during what should be my wood gathering time.

A good friend of mine is a ranch manager for absentee owners. There are several huge blow downs (oak and hickory) from storms over the past few months. He told me a couple of months ago to help myself. He already has a huge dump of good wood in some bottom land. He never burns it....
This afternoon the phone rang. The ranch manager buddy and another good friend were out working at the ranch. They called to tell me that a giant hickory had fallen over a couple of days ago and wanted to know when I was going to be available to come get it. "At least two weeks" I said. "Maybe longer if I end up having surgery to remove a bone chip."

"No problem" he says. "We're going to buck it up for you. Will eighteen inchers work for you?" He figures at least a couple of chords just from the limbs. The limbs are anywhere from four to ten inches diameter. The main trunk will be dragged down to the bottom and I can work on that when I'm able.

Nice to have buddies like that.

Sure made me want to get outside on this beautiful, mild sunny day. So, I went out to see if I could start my new Stihl MS390 (muffler mod) that I bought last winter and only ran a little in the Spring. I could hardly pull the rope! Oh, wait. Compression button! Check. Four or five pulls later..... vvvrrrroooooommmm!

Nice.

Then I grabbed the Fiskars SS and split a few rounds and called it a day before my Bride got home and caught me working.

It was a nice day after all.

A "Good friend" for sure.

I'm laid up with lower back issues (disc).
Buddy borrowed my trailer last week & brought it back full of birch, 3/4 cord.
Good to have good friends.

Now we just need to heal so we can get to work & have some fun.
I had to cover it with a tarp, everytime I looked at it I wanted to get after it.

Not everyone has friends like those. you must be doing something right. They must feel you'd be the friend for them in a time of need. My point is that having friends like that says as much about you as it does them.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

About this time in 08, a mean old oak broke my leg in four places between the knee and ankle,,, but the real story is about the men who kept me supplied in wood for that winter and the next,,here in the Mid-West. Just this past weekend i was able to sleep on their couch and get an early start at helping them as they did me. What I came to realize,,is that loggers spent a year and a half cutting trunks and leaving tops all over the hollows, which required a tractor and hydraulic wench just to get the tops to a place where you can cut and split and load in order to get them up on level land. Most times we were cutting, splitting and loading with one foot three to four inches above the other, and you had better rick these trucks and put binder straps on the wood, other-wise you will dump the upper third of the stack, as you pulled the hill trying to get out of the hollow. That's what this man, his two son's and a cousin, did for me for two winters! I realize this is not truly, a forum for politics and religion, however, I thank G@D, for these brothers and the World of class they represent! It was the most fullfilling two days I've lived, and brother,,I'm not done! Hope you may also heal and fill the need. What's this about your state Capitol building???
Born and raised,,East Tex. oil field
Happy Healing

Ahhh and in my youth I used to think a friend with weed was a friend indeed, these sound like wonderful adult friends to have.

Good health and good friends . . . two things that are worth more than fame and fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.